New bottom for Sassy

SASSY

Member II
I bought Sassy last April and decided that if was going to keep her for a while some preventative maintenance would go a long way. I had her peeled down to the glass over the holidays. The gel coat will be replaced with a new epoxy bottom. This is the second boat I have peeled. I learned a lot the first time and I am looking forward to posting the end results.

Attachments

• pb170001.jpg
    pb170001.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 87

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Although I'm all for preventive maintenance, unless you had lots of blisters, a full peel job is more preventive maintenance than most folks would do--especially as Ericsons are not especially prone to blisters. Were you able to do the work yourself, or did a yard do it for you?
It should look great when you're done!
Frank

Lucky Dog

Member III
Great look

It looks like you have a redesigned rudder from the original? If so would you tell us more....with photos, specs?

ml

SASSY

Member II
New bottom

I know that peeling the bottom is a little on the OCD side of preventative maintenance but not knowing what was going on under 20 years of bottom paint was enough to keep me awake at night. We found 12 blisters after the peel, 6 on one side, and 6 on the other all in exactly the same place, a problem during lay up I guess. I will finish it with an industrial epoxy made for oil rigs, military vessels, and such, it's 25% less expensive than the name brands and they are the only company to manufacture a high build, water proof epoxy primer.
The additonal costs of peeling the boat apposed to scraping it were well worth it and the results are great. Aplly one coat of primer, fair and it's ready for bottom paint.
As for the rudder, based on the line drawings that came in the manual it appears to be the stock set up for a 1987 E-34.