New Additions to E-27

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
So last week, while out doing some maintenance on the boat, my slip neighbor offered me a nice cold one from his mini fridge on his powerboat and got me thinking. While I don't think I will be doing any long distance cruising on this boat, I started researching this site and read all the threads about converting the ice box to a refrigerator and decided to go the, lets just say, "frugal route" and buy a cheap mini fridge and install it so that I too can offer a cold one, or just have one there for when I am out doing maintenance on the boat. It was a tight fit, so if any of you E-27/29 owners are contimplating this, plan accordingly. I found this 1.7 c.f. Emerson model to fit where my cabinet was.

Yes, I know it is not a marine grade fridge. But at $75 from Target, I will just throw it out and put in a new one when the time comes. Sorry for the lack of environmental compasion. Shore power is free here, so I should always have something cold and refreshing waiting for me!

The trim molding is courtesy of a storage lid salvaged off of the E-27 that Dan in Long Beach recently had.

While at the boat, I also added a step so my girls can get into the v-berth easier. The step was fashioned from a salvaged mahogany plank I picked up from Minney's a few weeks back.

Wait a minute, with all of the salvaging, maybe I made up for my earlier environmentalist comment!

Attachments

• 29491_1401329887276_1653195924_1004388_3082970_n.jpg
    29491_1401329887276_1653195924_1004388_3082970_n.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 29491_1401330007279_1653195924_1004390_8303627_n.jpg
    29491_1401330007279_1653195924_1004390_8303627_n.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

C. Trembanis

Member III
New Additions to E27

So last week, while out doing some maintenance on the boat, my slip neighbor offered me a nice cold one from his mini fridge on his powerboat and got me thinking. While I don't think I will be doing any long distance cruising on this boat, I started researching this site and read all the threads about converting the ice box to a refrigerator and decided to go the, lets just say, "frugal route" and buy a cheap mini fridge and install it so that I too can offer a cold one, or just have one there for when I am out doing maintenance on the boat. It was a tight fit, so if any of you E-27/29 owners are contimplating this, plan accordingly. I found this 1.7 c.f. Emerson model to fit where my cabinet was.

Yes, I know it is not a marine grade fridge. But at $75 from Target, I will just throw it out and put in a new one when the time comes. Sorry for the lack of environmental compasion. Shore power is free here, so I should always have something cold and refreshing waiting for me!

The trim molding is courtesy of a storage lid salvaged off of the E-27 that Dan in Long Beach recently had.

While at the boat, I also added a step so my girls can get into the v-berth easier. The step was fashioned from a salvaged mahogany plank I picked up from Minney's a few weeks back.

Wait a minute, with all of the salvaging, maybe I made up for my earlier environmentalist comment!

What kind of flooring do you have inside the cabin? Looks Good!!

Last edited:

toddbrsd

PO install

It is a vinyl laminate that was installed by the PO. It comes in strips (3 planks wide). I think he used a double sided "tape" to secure it. Not sure of the exact color, but he did leave the box with a few strips left that I will probably use to cover the back of the cubby area in the v-berth. I removed the white pleather, or what ever the name of it, due to mold.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
My mini ac/dc fridge $29. from Target

My mini ac/dc fridge $29. from Target. Holds a 6 pack so I always have a few cold ones, just have to re stock fairly often.

Nice install on your 110 v fridge. Looks like you may have had a oven there once. I have three drawers and a cabinet in that part of the galley.

Gotta love Target.

I sail Econo.

Attachments

• P1010061_4.jpg
    P1010061_4.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

toddbrsd

Jeff,

I seriously considered one of those thermoelectric "coolers", but I just kept reading bad reviews about them. Sounds like you have not had any issues.

I actually had a single cabinet door there before. I had to remove the frame to make the opening bigger by about 1.5" vertically for the fridge to fit and then covered the gaps with the molding, once the fridge was secured in place.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I use one of those Peltier junction thermo coolers in my office. It works well there because the ambient air never gets all that hot but it isn't great for a boat or outdoorsy installation--at least not here in the NE summers, maybe in more temperate climes. It cools quite slowly and can't get the contents more than 40 degrees cooler than ambient temperature.

Good call on the 110V reefer. My boat with just 2 group 24 batteries doesn't have the battery capacity to run a 12V reefer longer than overnight with the engine off, so I only use it with the engine running or when plugged into shorepower anyway. If I take a trip I use blocks of ice in the cooler and the 12V reefer stays off anyway.

davisr

Member III
Todd,

Another question unrelated to your new install. I noticed your main salon table in the photo. Looks like a nice one. Do you have any other pictures of it?

Thanks,
Roscoe

toddbrsd

Pictures can be deceiveing

Todd,

Another question unrelated to your new install. I noticed your main salon table in the photo. Looks like a nice one. Do you have any other pictures of it?

Thanks,
Roscoe

Roscoe,

The table is definitely a PO's modification. I have not seen many salon tables, but this one looks to be like an old cabinet door of some sort. It is very thin with "mullions" as structural support. There is an additional leaf that can be added. The leg was taken from the original table. I will take a few pictures and post, because I am now curious if anyone elese has any ideas on its origin.

I still have the original table with the formica (butcher block pattern) top. In fact my next project is to enhance that table and put it back in. My thought right now is to take some old nautical maps and cover the formica and then cover with a "bar top" epoxy. I have been researching that, but open to anyone's experience in this regard. The other idea is to buy some mahogany veneer instead.

davisr

Member III
Thanks Todd. I also have the formica table that is original to the boat. Yours might be a little different, but mine is heavy and is sort of a pain to handle. It does not fold flat against the bulkhead, so there is no choice but to carry it atop the V-berth, which is not ideal. I plan to build one from scratch. Folding stowage is a must. Good luck with your project.

Roscoe

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
I did mine with veneer woods then the bar cover epoxy. I just made the design then cut them into different species of wood I liked and taped the face side together with masking tape until I had the full design to fut the space. then contact cemented it into place, removed the tape,sanded and epoxied! simple and SO fun I did all the counter tops with a similar treatment, Edd:egrin:

Attachments

• star table.jpg
    star table.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 35
  • nav.jpg
    nav.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 52

toddbrsd

Wow

I did mine with veneer woods then the bar cover epoxy. I just made the design then cut them into different species of wood I liked and taped the face side together with masking tape until I had the full design to fut the space. then contact cemented it into place, removed the tape,sanded and epoxied! simple and SO fun I did all the counter tops with a similar treatment, Edd:egrin:

Edd,

That is truly inspirational. Although I like working with my hands, I don't know if I have the patience for something as intricate as that! Thanks for sharing.