New 85 Ericson 32-3 owner looking to locate a mast boot

Stephen H

Hello everyone, I am a new 85 Ericson 32-3 owner getting ready to launch and step mast after getting new paint on it and need to get a mast boot. Does anyone know where I can find one? Thanks

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
This is the type I have used.

https://www.defender.com/product.js...t-boot&path=-1|118|2358532|2358538&id=3742665

Careful trimming and some patience will go along way for a good fit.

I used the same one (the 91200000 size, although I suspect the 91000000 size might have worked. IIRC, the flange on the deck-plate is 28" around)

+1 on the careful trimming and patience. Make sure you get a good bond with the included adhesive, no gaps.

Hose-clamps top and bottom to hold it in place.

And then for good measure I wrapped mine with 2" self-amalgamating (silicone) tape, stretched tight to ensure a good seal.

https://www.amazon.com/X-Treme-Tape...=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=self+amalgamating+tape+2"

Stephen H

I used the same one (the 91200000 size, although I suspect the 91000000 size might have worked. IIRC, the flange on the deck-plate is 28" around)

+1 on the careful trimming and patience. Make sure you get a good bond with the included adhesive, no gaps.

Hose-clamps top and bottom to hold it in place.

And then for good measure I wrapped mine with 2" self-amalgamating (silicone) tape, stretched tight to ensure a good seal.

https://www.amazon.com/X-Treme-Tape...=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=self+amalgamating+tape+2"

I saw that stuff, I think the tape and some canvas might be the route I take.

Thanks for the input

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I think the tape and some canvas might be the route I take.

Might be OK in SoCal.

I did mine that way the first year Makana was up here (Puget Sound), and it... wasn't good. It rains a bit up here, and a lot of the rain managed to make it under the tape and into the boat. I re-did the boot the following spring with the universal kit + the tape (and a canvas cover for UV protection) and it's been no problem ever since.

I'd say try the tape, hose it down for a good five minutes and then check for water inside the boat (wet mast-blocks at the partners, wet foam under the headliner, drips down the mast). That'll tell you whether it's doing the job or not....

Bruce

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If mast is out, by all means install real mast boot before it goes back in. Masts rarely come out here.

Stephen H

Might be OK in SoCal.

I did mine that way the first year Makana was up here (Puget Sound), and it... wasn't good. It rains a bit up here, and a lot of the rain managed to make it under the tape and into the boat. I re-did the boot the following spring with the universal kit + the tape (and a canvas cover for UV protection) and it's been no problem ever since.

I'd say try the tape, hose it down for a good five minutes and then check for water inside the boat (wet mast-blocks at the partners, wet foam under the headliner, drips down the mast). That'll tell you whether it's doing the job or not....

Bruce

Thanks Bruce