Need replacement Rudder...

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
Please a list of possible used Rudder for an
Ericson 38, 1982? Big back story, mine just broke into 3 pieces.
Would love to find a good used one.
I will have to ship to Nicaragua.
Thanks

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Ralph,
Seems like that is going to be a hard find. Do you still have the metal parts in decent shape? You might be able to find someone with some skills down there that could rebuild one off of the existing.

Also it's good to see a 2001 join date member that doesn't disappear for a decade like Gareth. :)

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I think a GOOD used rudder will be extremely hard to find. Foss is probably your best bet to get a quick shipped rudder that you know will be 100% sound and they ship worldwide.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I think a GOOD used rudder will be extremely hard to find. Foss is probably your best bet to get a quick shipped rudder that you know will be 100% sound and they ship worldwide.
True. But note that there is a Foss in southern California and a Foss in Florida, and they are not the same company. Maybe get quotes from both?

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
But note that there is a Foss in southern California and a Foss in Florida
I did not know they were not affiliated. That being said there are many more Ericson's on the west coast so maybe California Foss has more past experience with the brand ? Just a educated guess but getting quotes from both makes sense to me.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I did not know they were not affiliated. That being said there are many more Ericson's on the west coast so maybe California Foss has more past experience with the brand ? Just a educated guess but getting quotes from both makes sense to me.
Foss in California does have past experience with Ericson rudders, as I believe they made the original ones. What I can say for sure is that when I went to them for a replacement for my own rudder, they simply pulled the blueprints for it out of their files.

RCsailfast

E35-3 Illinois
Had contacted Foss, in California, about a quote for a rudder. Thankfully not needed.
They have the original forms for Ericson boats and were friendly and quick to respond

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Foss in California replaced my 32’s rudder with a better-than-original new design at reasonable cost. It was as close to a drop-in replacement as I could have imagined. I had sent them my rudderpoat cap (the boat is tiller-steered) ao the new post would arrive properly drilled.

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
Thanks for your help...
Please a list of possible used Rudder for an
Ericson 38, 1982? Big back story, mine just broke into 3 pieces.
Would love to find a good used one.
I will have to ship to Nicaragua.
Thanks
Thanks you All responded.
No metal left that's what rusted through at the top of rudder... post there is Just RUST!

Attachments

• 20221014_120408.jpg
    20221014_120408.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 20221014_115842.jpg
    20221014_115842.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20221014_115718.jpg
    20221014_115718.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20221014_115724.jpg
    20221014_115724.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 43

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Foss turned into two companies due to some family disagreement. Foss Florida makes replacement rudders for boats originally built on the East Coast (Hunter, Pearson, etc.); Foss California, for West Coast boats (Ericson, Cal, etc.). They may well be OEM rudder providers for boats in current production too.

Jamiem

Member II
I have an Ericson 39 and have been concerned about the same problem. I see rust stains coming out of the ridder and after seeing your pictures I am almost certain that I need to re-weld new (SS) supports for the rudder off of the shaft I will take pics when I do it and post them.

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
I have an Ericson 39 and have been concerned about the same problem. I see rust stains coming out of the ridder and after seeing your pictures I am almost certain that I need to re-weld new (SS) supports for the rudder off of the shaft I will take pics when I do it and post them.
Sure glad it happened in our harbor with sandy beach... not while we were out to sea. I suggest Everyone closely inspect the rudder post...!

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
The history of Foss is great.
Does anyone know of a site or yard that might have a used one that would work?
$3,600. Plus shipping to Nicaragua just seems a lot (% of value) to put into the old Gal + $$$ to repair other damages.

steven

Sustaining Member
thanks for posting the pics. I find it interesting that the inside appears to be foam that is not fiberglassed or otherwise sealed.
which means the only thing that prevents water from getting into the foam and rotting it is the seal at the top where the post enters the rudder.
Am I misinterpreting the pics ? Anyone know if this is typical rudder construction ?

RCsailfast

E35-3 Illinois
Seems typical. Foam core coated in glass vacuum sealed etc. so the glass is against the post. With cooling and heating there is expansion and contraction and the seal can be lost. A lot of people dremmel around the post and put a flexible sealant like lifecaulk or the 3m equivalent.

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
thanks for posting the pics. I find it interesting that the inside appears to be foam that is not fiberglassed or otherwise sealed.
which means the only thing that prevents water from getting into the foam and rotting it is the seal at the top where the post enters the rudder.
Am I misinterpreting the pics ? Anyone know if this is typical rudder construction ?
This about 10 Inches down from top from top where the Post broke RUST!
CAN any one please give me dimensions of original stainless tube, size & length?
One to many turns... hope to get info from the new company Foss merged with but no luck so far

Attachments

• 20221020_144726.jpg
    20221020_144726.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 9

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
This about 10 Inches down from top from top where the Post broke RUST!
CAN any one please give me dimensions of original stainless tube, size & length?
One to many turns... hope to get info from the new company Foss merged with but no luck
Steve Brown, with New co. FINCO replied after I asked him questions..."so you have no budget for a new one ?" I responded twice more and no reply?
Any one here delt with them?

Jamiem

Member II
This thread got me paranoid about the rust stain at the bottom of my rudder so I cut it open and found this??
Foam had been penetrated to the steel but the corrosion wasn't too bad, the strange part was the carbon steel plate and rebar re-enforcement. It aint pretty but I have to say it is rock solid. I will carefully check the connections to the shaft next time I am there but I assume this is after market but not a bad hack job;)IMG_20221211_154510680-2.jpgIMG_20221211_154520936-2.jpg

tenders

Innocent Bystander
This was my experience too, Jamiem, with a '69 rudder I cut open about ten years ago. It looked like hell on the outside, and while the foam was saturated and the metal was a bit rusty, it was really quite solid nonetheless. Not sure I would have crossed the Atlantic with it but it certainly would have had many more years of service had I not replaced (and destroyed) it.