Need overheat and oil pressure alarms

Sven

Seglare
The Perkins in Senta II has neither an oil pressure or overheat buzzer/alarm.

I want to add those alarms and wonder if I should go generic or look for Perkins parts. Part of my question is "how standard are such items" ?

Thanks.

-Sven

Emerald

This stuff is pretty generic, and can be had for not much money (or a lot if you want to spend money because it feels good :rolleyes:). The key is usually determining the right size of the sending unit threads, which is almost always one of the NPT sizes, e.g. 3/8. Just for grins, here's a link to a basic water temperature gauge made by Teleflex I picked up a year ago that has worked fine in my little Yanmar 3GM30F, and gives me so much more information than the overheat alarm, which by nature doesn't tell you about a problem until it's too late to do anything but shut it down. :mad:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|311|314195|314585|316459|755845&id=756708

and here's the matching oil pressure gauge:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|311|314195|314585|316459|755843&id=756689

do note that you need to buy sending units separately.

Last edited:

Shadowfax

Member III
I have noticed that the gage should match the sending unit. I noticed that when I changed the sending unit on my boat from stock to Teleflex when the unit failed, it would not work correctly until I changed the gage also. It seemed that they worked on different ohms for there readings.

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Well, I can tell you for sure not to buy any of the components at West Marine. I just ordered a new oil pressure buzzer/light, two toggle switches and two toggle switch boots from Defender; buzzer was $22, toggles were $8 ea., boots were $5 ea. WM wanted $29 for the buzzer, $18 ea for the toggles and $10 ea for the boots. (That was in the actual store.)

To make it even worse, Torreson Marine wanted $244 for the buzzer! Wonder how many of those they sell...

:)

Ray Rhode

Member III
Agree with Rob. I installed one of Borels alarms and now I know that if the raw water circuit fails I know before I burn up the muffler. By the time the temp gage/alarm goes off it too late to save the exhaust system. Had a twin engine power boat from our dock that lost the raw water pump on one of the Cats and burned up the exhaust system before they had any indication.

Ray Rhode
S/V Journey
E35-III, #189

clayton

Member III
Alarms

Our local West Marine will price match Defender catalog prices, they did this recently for me on several items. They actually have a code in the computer for this, and they photocopied the pages from Defender's catalog for verification. Saved waiting a couple of days for shipping. No financial interest other than keeping a few extra bucks in my wallet.
Clayton