Need New Genoa

sklitzky

I am the new proud owner of an Ericson 35-3 and I knew I would have this problem sooner or later. I was hoping it would be later. Oh well.

I need a new Genoa
icon9.gif
. It looks like the one that come with the boat is a 150. The Sail Loft is recommending a 135. But, this is not my question. What sail cloth weight is appropriate? When I go online I see weights from 6.5 to 8.4.

I sail in Southern California, and I know there are others around here who know the conditions and can make recommendations.

In addition to day sails in the Santa Monica Bay, I want to cruise the local are, Catalina, San Diego, the Channel Islands, Santa Barbara and an north.

Please comment and help.

Thanks

kloftin

New Head sail

I also have 35-3 and my primary all around head sail is a 135 with foam luff made by Shurr Sails in Pensacola , FL that works great for cursing in my area.
Hope this helps.
e

Seth

Sustaining Partner
135 Genoa

Is a perfect size for all around use. 8.4 is way too heavy if you sail in Socal. I think 6-6.5 oz plus reinforced leech/suncover is the way to go.

Happy trails,

S

windjunkee

Member III
I have a 135 (i.e. #2) on Voice of Reason as my primary headsail. Works just fine and easier to hold a good shape when you store it on the furler.
Cloth weight is above my pay-grade. Seth knows what he's talking about. Also, call Sam Heck at Quantum Sails in Long Beach. Quantum are a little more expensive then some, a little less than others, but he KNOWS what he is talking about and is a super nice guy.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason, E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA