Need instruments

hodo

Member III
OK, enough effort has been expended! Any ideas on replacement Instruments for the original COMBI stuff, or maybe repairs, interchanging parts, etc? I took the masthead unit down and the bearings are toast, the depth works most of the time, but the alarm sounds occasionally, (boy, thats exciting), and the boat speed is way off.I feel comfortable doing repairs, but have no info. Price is of some concern, but not critical. I need something that will talk to a JRC system. Thanks, HODO :cheers:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
the Combi Quandary

Most modern instruments can speak NMEA, sometimes with a translator "black box." And that should enable any of them to talk to your existing JRC (radar?).

The spec. sheet for my Raymarine ST60 instruments promises this, and it seems to be commonly advertised.
Another Ericson owner I know replaced the deceased Combi instrument and transducers on his early-80's Ericson and went with Nexus. He's happy.
I believe many, if not most, instrument providers have their own proprietory bus language and CPU, but also allow for NMEA integration.
Your biggest problem may well be getting a good cosmetic finish to the repair of the large oval hole in the cabin bulkhead, after the old instrument face is gone.
As a "plan B" you might do some searching to see if the company that was, about 8 years ago, servicing your brand of instruments (located in California, as I sort of dimly remember) is still around.
Best,
Loren in PDX