Need Info about E-36 Ron Holland

rgraham

Member II
Hello All,
I have one of these beasties and I would like any info at all about them. Sail characteristics, sea worthiness... I'm restoring this one (started out as a few minor repairs... 2 yrs ago) I've striped it down, removed headliner, what was left of a substitute floor, various pieces of rotten wood (the teak behind all of the port lights, the area behind the dresser and the dresser top...) and I'm slowly putting it back together.
I've gathered some paperwork about this boat sail plan, water and electrical system schematics, color brochure... This boat is named Shazam and it was raced in the 82 - 8? timeframe in the northeast. I found an old rating for her and it is 108 I believe (I'm out of town right now so I'll have to check). The front bottom of the hull forward of the keel (below the waterline) has a flat triangular area which I assume gives it a definite V shape cutting the water when heeled over on either side. But gave me a real pounding when I motored her up mobile bay with the wind on her nose and the waves about 5ft with a very sharp face cause the bay is pretty shallow. Keel itself is a wing that is covered with a thin 1/4 inch layer of glass (most of the info on these boats shows a spade keel) so I don't know if Ericson made this keel or it is a modification.
I've sailed it very little, Pensacola Bay for an afternoon winds about 15 - 20 kts two years ago (truth be known I liked her lines so much I bought her while on the hard getting a new bottom.)
She is sitting in the water without her mast currently because I'm working on getting her new teak and holly sole back in before I step the mast. I've rebedded all the deck hardware and replaced all of her port glass and replaced the crazed hatch Plexiglas with polycarbonate. She has Navtec hydraulics (backstay and boom vane) which I've had rebuilt and all new hoses (still sitting in my closet). I've had the mast sheeves machined for rope and have got all new halyards (except the stay/bigboy halyard) yes in the closet as well. Oh I forgot to mention that I had to strip all of the varnish in the cabin any suggestions on what kind to go back with??

I can only attribute this to total madness on my part because it has been a dream of mine for quite some time to buy a boat and trade the American Dream for some sanity. So I bought this boat that only needed a few minor repairs...

Seth

Sustaining Partner
If you have seen my messages, you may know that I worked for Ericson and ran the factory race program for the 36H.

Feel free to contact me for any info you would like. I am still a huge fan of these fine boats!.

Seth

rgraham

Member II
Well I've stepped the mast but have no idea how to properly tune it. I have an old article from the factory about tuning and it appears to be one in a series (Bulletin #2) Mast Tuning for Performance it refers to an illustration I don't have concerning a 3/16 gap between the forword edge of the partner and the mast. This seems like it wouldn't be a large enough gap to get the SparTite to support it properly. Seth would you recommend this 3/16 gap?