Need advice on buying handheld Gps please

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,
My 6 year old Lowrance H2O handheld Gps has stopped working reliably. They don't make it any more so I'm looking for advice on a suitable replacement. I would like to stay with hand held if possible. I found a small mounted one with North American charts for $399 Canadian dollars but would prefer a handheld hopefully for less money. I sail in BC and the Pacific Northwest.
Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks,
Frank

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Garmin GPSMap-78sc

I am happily using the Garmin GPSMap-78sc for 4 seasons now. That model is getting long in the tooth, but Garmin has not offered a direct replacement yet. Reviews are mixed, but I have no complaints. I am happy to answer any questions about it.

Frank Langer

Thanks for your reply. I'll check the specs and price, and will follow up if I have any questions.
Does anyone else use a different hand held Gps?
Frank

missalot

Member II
My handheld died a couple years ago. I replaced it with a smart phone. Put it in a waterproof case with floaty thing and lanyard. It works pretty good, my biggest complaint is battery life - OK for a few hour sail, but not hard to set up charging on board for longer uses. Depending on the app, you can move routes, waypoints and tracks from one device to another, text/email your position to others.

Frank Langer

Thanks for your reply. I've considered this option, but I sometimes sail in more remote areas where there is no cell phone reception but I can still get satellite connection to the boat Gps. So I'm still looking for a good Gps.
Frank

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I sometimes sail in more remote areas where there is no cell phone reception but I can still get satellite connection Frank

GPS on a phone is not dependent on having cell signal. It'll work fine even in areas where there is no cell phone reception.

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
iPhone

I used my iPhone 6 extensively offshore to get a GPS position. It usually got a fix within 1 minute. When sleeping, I kept it (and the charting app) running and within close view of where I was sleeping, as no other instrument was within view. I'd wake often and open one eye to verify that we were still on course, to check speed, and to see if there were any AIS targets visible - I have it picking up NMEA AIS data over WiFi from my AIS transceiver. I'd occasionally use my iPad 3 as well.

Last edited:

TakeFive

Member II
You could find a used Garmin 76 or 78 series. Basic but very functional.
My preference is Navionics on the iphone and ipad. Cell phone signal is not required. If you're concerned about reliability or accuracy of gps signal you could always add a Bad Elf GPS Pro.
Battery life is always a concern but you can buy a usb charger adapter that will fit a cigarette lighter outlet.

-Gary

Last edited:

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Navionics, OpenCPN

I agree, along with my Garmin 78sc I have Navionics on my iPhone and OpenCPN on a notebook computer at the nav station

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I'm still using the GPS output from my AIS unit, plus navionics iPad. I have a laptop application, but I find that the laptop hogs relatively a lot of power and is also not handy to put in the cockpit.

Frank Langer

Thanks for all the replies so far. You have given me lots to think about. It seems all the options have both advantages and disadvantages (as with so much of life) but I'm still a bit surprised that there isn't an ideal option that someone is raving about - - I really liked the handheld Lowrance H2O that I've had for many years and am so sad it's losing reliability now, and they don't make them anymore.
I appreciate your suggestions but keep them coming if you have some other options for me.
Frank

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I'd have to go with the Navionics application. I have it on an iPad 3, the model just before the "iPad Air" came out. It (iPad) has the built in GPS, where some current tablets do not. The cost of Navionics is reasonable, too, in my opinion. We used the iPad/Navionics app going into Swantown Marina at Olympia, WA after our old chartplotter bit the dust on our south Sound cruise a few years ago. It was accurate and it gave the Admiral and me some confidence since we were going in at low tide. That experience, while it was pretty routine since the weather was good. helped convince me to update the nav gear and get the plotter/radar display up at the helm permanently. We will keep the iPad around for a backup.

Also, the older GPS units have fewer receiving channels, so while my old 8-channel Garmin 76S worked fine, there are better receivers out there even in small packages. I have found that my older GPS units sometimes take a much longer time to find enough satellites to get a position.

Last edited:

Second Star

Member III
Handheld GPS

Not fully on topic but following the flow of the conversation ... I know many US boaters who use their phone for navigation. The early phones I know had only 1 receiver so the fix was not very good. In addition I have questions regarding the charts. Are they downloaded when you get the phone app so you don't need to have the phone "follow" you around? If so then I suppose it is a good replacement for a GPS Unit, if a power hog. If the maps are downloaded as you move from place to place, as the phone store people tell me for walking around town or driving, then that is a horrendous load on cell phone download limits which, unlike in the US, are in Canada really restrictive.

TakeFive

Member II
Not fully on topic but following the flow of the conversation ... I know many US boaters who use their phone for navigation. The early phones I know had only 1 receiver so the fix was not very good. In addition I have questions regarding the charts. Are they downloaded when you get the phone app so you don't need to have the phone "follow" you around? If so then I suppose it is a good replacement for a GPS Unit, if a power hog. If the maps are downloaded as you move from place to place, as the phone store people tell me for walking around town or driving, then that is a horrendous load on cell phone download limits which, unlike in the US, are in Canada really restrictive.

Current IPhones/Ipads are accurate within radius of ~32ft assuming min no. of satellites. Close enough for marine navigation purposes. If you're within range of cell towers you will get a quicker fix but not more accuracy.

Navionics charts are downloaded once. You can check for updated charts at any time. Other than updates no data is downloaded.

-Gary

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I agree with TakeFive on the Navionics functions. However, if you want to see Satellite imagery with your Navionics charts you do have to have an Internet connection. SecondStar is right on about the power consumption. I will eventually add an outlet to the helm area for charging/powering phones or the iPad.

Teranodon

Member III
I’ve owned a Garmin 78sc for a number of years and used it on many charters, and for hiking as well. It is a bit dated and clunky, but it’s waterproof and it floats.

After getting my own boat (E34) I mounted the 78sc on the pedestal guard, but then concluded that it just wasn’t enough: the screen is awfully small, and I ended up constantly switching between the chart and the navigation page. So I bit the bullet and got a 5” Garmin unit (EchoMap 54dv). Now I have both, and it is really ideal. I have a nice big chart plus the nav info: speed, distance, VMG and bearing. The 78sc is hooked up to my 12V system, so I can have the backlight on all of the time. When I ran it on AA batteries, I would use up a pair every other day, with no backlight.

I have iNavX installed on my iPhone, but I only use it from time to time. There is the constant worry about dropping it or getting it wet, plus it doesn’t have the sailing features that I want.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Instruments.jpg
    Instruments.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 463

Frank Langer

Stefan,
Thanks for your reply. The handheld garmin does seem small and the larger setup looks very nice. I'm not sold on the idea of relying on my smartphone and it doesn't seem as if there's an ideal handheld. I may have to install a small pedestal mount, maybe a bit smaller than yours but similar. Lots to think about.
Frank

907Juice

Continuously learning
While not technically a gps, I have a Delorme Inreach and you can download all the noaa maps to your device. I also use garmin bluechart as a backup backup. Your iPad in airplane mode lasts for days with intermittent use without needing a charge.

907Juice

Continuously learning
While not technically a gps, I have a Delorme Inreach and you can download all the noaa maps to your device. I also use garmin bluechart as a backup backup. Your iPad in airplane mode lasts for days with intermittent use without needing a charge.

Then again I'm mostly a new sailor so typically pretty fair weather and close enough to islands to get a bearing without any gps.

Navman

Member III
Gps

I have been using my smart phone with Navionics for 5 years now. I go from the Chesapeake Bay to New England and back, inshore and offshore. I have never had any issues with its accuracy. As far as power consumption goes, When I do not have it plugged in I just monitor it hourly unless inshore in confined areas such as the East river etc. I found that if I install a cigarette lighter plug in jack I can keep it on all of the time and the display screen is always "up". I have even gotten a plug in jack with 10' leads and alligator clips for when I have been doing a delivery and it works great. I especially like the tide and current charts as when going through the East River and up Delaware Bay the current is all important. I too have a waterproof "Life Proof" cover and a wrap around " life jacket". I will one day get a fixed navigation pod but in the meantime but its not high on my list of priorities. Don't mess with success!!! Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Keep the round side down!