Near to make offer on E35-3. Some help please

sailingdeacon

Member III
I onced owned a 1987 E34 and am considering an upgraded and loaded 1984 E35. I am familiar with both and need comments to the following

1. The 35-3 hardware and cabin interior seems a bit better than the 34, although perhaps a bit more dated. Example: ports, cabinet woodwork a bit heavier, stronger. Am I right?

2. The 35 engine and stuffing box access seems much worse on the 35. Getting in the starboard locker to access the tank, transmission, and stuffing box looks like a challenge. Otherwise, one has to lie on the engine leaning over.

3. The hoses going out the stern have cutoffs on the 35 (or the one I saw did) Not so on the 34. Yet the stern storage area in the 34 is much larger. But the 35 has really neat propane tank storage.

4. Has anyone discovered which of these two boats has the most/best storage area? I can see clearly that the 35-3 starboard locker in the cockpit is much better on the 34.

5. Based on access to some really good selling price info, it seems the 1987 e34 is selling for about the same as the 87 e35-3. I am pretty sure a few years back the 34 was selling for less. Any thoughts?

6. In general the e35-3 seems more substantial, but a bit more dated in appearance. Agree?

Any other specifics worth noting (Much info on speed and hull shape have been covered previously here.)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding the interior... Most any interior with the "type a" layout (with the head forward) will cause some compromises for access to the shaft and stuffing box.
Generally this access will be better in an aft cabin / aft head type of layout.
Every compromise has it's up side, tho. The E-35-3 has a shower stall. :)
That's a huge upside, IMHO.

My O-34 has the aft head and cabin layout, and engine access is quite good. Downside is that there's no shower stall and my main cabin salon is smaller for socializing. Or, at least it seems a lot smaller to me compared to Mike's E-33RH.

Price is determined by a lot of market factors, some logical and many not.
Generally, based on personal observations in the NW market, the E-34 has commanded a higher price than the E-35-3. Rumor is that there are less of the late model E-34's available, and that many buyers are more attracted to the aft head interior layout.

Lots of subjectivity in these decisions.....
Happy shopping!
:egrin:

Loren

Mort Fligelman

Member III
E35-3 Minimal Help

Deacon:

Not at all familiar with the 34......BUT.....I would have to assume that with boats of this age, condition, equipment, upgrades, and a myriad of other factors would have to be involved to bring the price to an identical level.

The one thing I do know for certain is the reason for the valves in the stern locker....... the hoses are criscrossed, the one fron the Starboard valve goes to the port drain, and vice versa......I find that on mine, anything over 5 knots and 10 degrees of heel and I have water backing into the cockpit......this has been discussed by this group on many occassions.... if you get the 35-3 be sure to close these valves.....they are rain drains in my opinion and nothing more.....The two center drains go to a "TEE" and then to a hose going to a thru hull under the galley sink.....a system I am not enamoured of, but just live with.....

I have yet to find a boat with easy engine and Transmission/stuffing box access when it is under the cockpit sole.....

To repeat.....do not know about the 34, but I love my 35-3.....

treilley

Sustaining Partner
1. The 35-3 hardware and cabin interior seems a bit better than the 34, although perhaps a bit more dated. Example: ports, cabinet woodwork a bit heavier, stronger. Am I right?

I do not notice much difference here. A plus is that the 35 cabin sole has teak trim all around that makes it easier to replace the sole. The 34 requires exact cutting for sole replacement.

2. The 35 engine and stuffing box access seems much worse on the 35. Getting in the starboard locker to access the tank, transmission, and stuffing box looks like a challenge. Otherwise, one has to lie on the engine leaning over.

On my 35 I accessed it from both areas. removing the frame behind the steps makes it easy to lay across the engine.

3. The hoses going out the stern have cutoffs on the 35 (or the one I saw did) Not so on the 34. Yet the stern storage area in the 34 is much larger. But the 35 has really neat propane tank storage.

Already answered.

4. Has anyone discovered which of these two boats has the most/best storage area? I can see clearly that the 35-3 starboard locker in the cockpit is much better on the 34.

Probably a draw. I favor interior storage on the 35 as a little better depending on optional forward water tank under v-berth.

5. Based on access to some really good selling price info, it seems the 1987 e34 is selling for about the same as the 87 e35-3. I am pretty sure a few years back the 34 was selling for less. Any thoughts?

As long as I can remember, the 34 was always a little higher. It was a newer model with a more modern layout.

6. In general the e35-3 seems more substantial, but a bit more dated in appearance. Agree?

Not at all. from the exterior it is very hard to tell the difference. Portlights will reveal which is which. The 35 definitely has more wood below which appeals to some but not others.

Any other specifics worth noting (Much info on speed and hull shape have been covered previously here.)

Speed is virtually the same. I have sailed and raced on both and know them quite well. Tacking angles are identical.

- All seacocks on the 35 are under the galley or head sink.
- 34 rudder shaft is offset making shaft removal easier.
- Handrails on cabin top, I feel, are safer on the 35 as the 34 handrails are recessed and you cannot brace your feet on them.
- Fuel tank location and feed hoses are better engineered on the 35. No dips as on the 34.
- Salon table on 35 drops to create an extra double. The 34 did not get this until PS took over(I think)
- Forward facing nav station on 35, aft facing on 34.
- 34 is a better family boat, the 35 a better couples boat.
- large bridge-deck on 34 can make it difficult to get in and out especially with a dodger.
- fore/aft toilet alignment on 34 is preferable
- And of course, the 35 has an awesome shower stall that is actually usable.

sailingdeacon

Member III
I am on the verge of buying a 1984 E35-3. Wish me luck. Also will report soon on the very generous insurance settlement from allstate due to hurricane total loss. Surprisingly good settlement on a actual cash value policy.

sailingdeacon

Member III
Tim, you wrote Probably a draw. I favor interior storage on the 35 as a little better depending on optional forward water tank under v-berth.

I had the optional tank on the 34. I assumed the 35 had even more water tankage and did not need or offer the option. I probably can keep the optional tank from the 34 if needed.

lbertran

Member III
Optional Water Tank on 35-3

The optional water tank was offered as an option on the 35-3 and I have it in my boat. In fact, I'm weighing the idea of removing the tank and using that space for storage. Has anyone with a 35-3 done this? Any regrets? Thanks.

Idler

Beware of cabintop leaks on the 35-3

Greetings Friends; I've had a bad experience with leaks thru the floor of the dorade/winch handle box/dorade unit just forward of the mast. The floor of that box set was one layer of improperly saturated woven roving. Water made it through to the underlying plywood. The ply had kerfs cut into it so it would bend to the shape of the cabin overhead. those kerfs allowed the water to travel easily to other spots in the overhead. Massive rot took place around the base of the box. I removed what rotted wood I could get to and poured in epoxy. I hope the problem is solved. See the thread "Dry Rot" from last May in the Maintenance forum. Also see "Cabintop Core Moisture" from Nov of 2002 started by Lloyd Moore, "Dorads" of Oct 2007 by Trucker Doug, and "35 Mk III What's between the front dorads?" of Jun 2008. Happy reading!
Other than that I love my E35-3.

Bill Morse, Idler, E35-3 #235 (1986) St Petersburg, Fl.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Other 35-3 Specific Issue

To add to Idlers post, the way the mast step is supported on the 35-3 is not optimal. If you see any cracks in the TAFG under the step you may need to beef it up like we did. Its a simple DIY job if you have the mast out.

We looked at 34's as well when we bought our 35. The differences are mostly subjective, with both being solid boats if maintained, but for us the 35-3 was the better fit.