Navtec terminals

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Does anyone know why Ericson used these Navtec terminals on standing rigging? Is there any advantage over a single turnbuckle?

I have to replace some rigging and those "swage with jaw" fittings are kind of pricey. There is an E30+ down the dock from me that looks like the same vintage that has single turnbuckles.

Attachments

• l-C500.jpg
    l-C500.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 72

treilley

Sustaining Partner
The type of turnbuckle is not specific to Ericson as long as the connection to the chainplate is correct and the fitting has ability to move in both planes.

My previous Pearson had those and I changed them out when I replaced the rigging.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Same Navtec turnbuckles on our prior boat, an '81 Niagara 26. They were considered rather "high end" products in their day, along with Navtec rod rigging, which our N-26 also had. :cool:

Nice design, but there was a bad run of them in the early 80's that generated a factory recall. As I remember they got the alloy types too similar in the center threaded part and the barrels and they would gall when tightened. Some would then snap the stud without warning.

All of those would/should have been replaced by the early 90's, and Navtec was long since folded into another company. All boat builders and owners-of-record received recall notices, AFAIK.

Now if you have these on a boat where the first or second owners were maintenance-adverse (like that ever happens...) , you might find the original ones still in place and be left to ponder their remaining strength... :rolleyes:

And, no, I do not any way of telling the bad from the good by casual inspection. :(

Best,
Loren

Last edited:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
We converted to the "standard" turnbuckles that everyone else seems to be using when we replaced our standing rigging. Cheaper and easier to come by - just make sure the rigger is competent enough to compensate for the small change of length.