Navpod screws???

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I am trying to open the Navpod housing that holds my chartplotter. They used these screws that look like an Allen head screw with a post in the center. I suppose this is anti theft? How the heck do I get into the unit? Would like to try and remove the chartplotter.... Thanks, RT

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
They're out there--

Rob,

I found a kit on the ACE Hardware cheapo table a few years ago that has 15 TORX (T5 to T50) bits. Several have the anti-tamper defeating feature -- a hole in the middle. They're by "Tool Cache" and the part number is 51284. Most decent hardware stores probably carry what you need.

I am not affiliated with ACE Hardware - they're just closer to me than Lowe's or Home Depot and sometimes you have to get back home fast. :esad:

I sympathize on the ChartPlotter, I have an old 601XX that works fine, but the RL-9 Radar doesn't always boot up the first try. I'm dreading the time it fails altogether. Let us know what you find.

Jim32-3

Same Problem

I went to West Marine and asked and they just gave me one of the special allen wrenchs. I was also missing some screws and found they are hard to come by, so I replaced all but two with regular screws, it worked great. Now I only need to use the goofy allen wrench on just two, which I kept for some crazy feeling of security?

Good luck.

joerun26

Member II
NAVPOD Screws

I borrowed the "special bit" from a friend to open mine last week. Once I completed wiring in my GPS unit, I replaced with regular screws.. I didn't see the value of keeping them on board either.