Natural Gas to Propane Conversion

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Hmm, looks like I just hit a dead end on my natural gas to propane conversion. The GSI stove is a Seward 2132 not a 2174. The 2132 does not have the automatic gas cutoff if the flame goes out. The conversion would require a new stove. That causes problems because the refer packed it in last year and needs to be replaced. The boat needs hauling this year and it is scheduled for a new shaft seal and vibration damper. A new stove is out unless I found a used one that works. A refill is 85+ miles one way across a floating bridge and a ferry ride. A pair of full canisters would make me a very nervous driver as most of the roads are two lane and prone to accidents. I have found a place in Sidney, BC that exchanges cylinders but the last exchange was $110 a cylinder.

Are there any opinions out there about the safety of this stove using natural gas as it's fuel.

Do any of you Ericsons on Vancouver Island have sources for natural gas?

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I'm a very young man and sometimes get confused, but the only time I have ever heard of a gas stove flame going out it was because there was no more gas. End of problem.

There are some risks I am willing to accept.

Do you cook while asleep?

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Hey Tom,

The problem tends not to be with the safety, although I have had the flame go out with the burner on low, but with the liability thing. If the rig on your boat is not "compliant" with the regs, your insurance company could deny a claim even if the problem is not directly attributable to the non compliance. This area is like a minefield and the few bucks saved is probably not worth the risk if a problem occurs. I used to use a RV stove in the 60's and early 70's. Never had a problem. Now, every surveyor will nail it. Your insurance company will instantly cancel you. The marina will throw you out of the marina. Worse than a bad hair day.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Anyone using CNG on a long term basis would have to their tank retested, wouldn't they? Lot of pressure, like a scuba tank. I have pondered that question for vehicles using that fuel, also.
(I recall that my fire bottles have to be hydro tested every ten years or so.)

A propane tank, OTOH, is very low pressure in comparison. Not sure if there is any legal requirement to retest them.

There are several different facets to storing gases under pressure.
:nerd:

Loren

Last edited:

markvone

Sustaining Member
Propane Tank Requalification

Propane tanks do need to be requalified 12 years after mfg (date marked on tank) and every 5 years there after, see link:

http://www.propanetankstore.com/recertification/

Often, the re-filler will not check the tank mfg dates and just refill it.

The usual approach for dealing with expired steel 20 lb tanks is to do a tank exchange vs going to a big propane vendor to have the tank requalified.

For marine tanks in aluminum or composite, I do not know if the requalification process and cost is the same.

It is worth considering whenever you are looking at used tanks and even new ones sitting on the shelf for how long?

Mark