Mystery Puddle

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Spring is here and as I was reinstalling my impeller, looked up and saw this (the red puddle) 7F397625-C978-48F6-A4AE-2283A5E147AF.jpeg
I use purple in the engine so I don’t think it’s coming from the exhaust can. The pressure water pump appears to be downstream. Maybe my bypass wasn’t secure? Seems like if it was coming down from the coolant overflow, there would be more of a waterfall effect from the laz. Anybody want to play along at home?

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Red = diesel fuel or ATF transmission fluid. What does it smell like? What does it feel like between the fingers?

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Looks like coolant to me, too. Maybe coming from one of these fitting, judging by the spill pattern?

1618869229802.png

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Red = diesel fuel or ATF transmission fluid. What does it smell like? What does it feel like between the fingers?
I failed to touch it. My water system has red in it. My coolant is a different red. My diesel is red. I see nothing but red.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I failed to touch it
Curious, How do you deduce what it is if you don't touch and or smell it ? I have to know so I immediately stick my finger in it, rub it between my fingers then smell. If that fails give it a taste....

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Because I’m an idiot? I had just finished mopping up the oil and debris under the engine for the first time ever and when I saw the red I bunched up paper towels on my magnet thingy and dreamed of a new product called sponge on a stick and then just jammed the towels into a trash bag as part of a broader COVID emotional break.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
+1 for the sponge on a stick ! I have tried cutting down a sponge mop handle but it's just to big to get in anywhere.