My neighbor raced E-Scows...never heard of them, interesting!!!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A Scows on Barnegat Bay. Thirty feet long. Some had three cockpits. Twin daggerboards and rudders. Big spinnakers.

It was the 1950s, and they could tow a waterskier. And they capsized, too.

The A Scow sailor man was raaather rich, but he felt it important to race against other raaather rich A Scow sailor mans.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
A Scows on Barnegat Bay. Thirty feet long. Some had three cockpits. Twin daggerboards and rudders. Big spinnakers.

It was the 1950s, and they could tow a waterskier. And they capsized, too.

The A Scow sailor man was raaather rich, but he felt it important to race against other raaather rich A Scow sailor mans.
I think I remember those on Barnegat bay (very shallow water in most places) but what I remember most were the Garvey races. I was a lifeguard - Island Beach State Park circa 1979

Last edited:

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
Midwestern boats made for shallow lakes. Currently by Melges here in Wisconsin. There are a number of fleets nearby of MC, C, E, and A scows. There's an MC in our sailing club. Huge amount of sail area on a little, flat, cat rigged boat. They really fly.
But the local one deign fleets of even the small scows still seem to me much as Christian describes.