My gooseneck exploded

cagarren

Member I
Anyone know a manufacturer of sliding type goosenecks for my E 25? Google aint helping much. This thing came apart while attempting to raise the mast causing quite a mess. I know there's an enormous amount of stress on the boom and traveler while doing this. Makes me nervous every time.
gooseneck.jpg

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Anyone know a manufacturer of sliding type goosenecks for my E 25? Google aint helping much. This thing came apart while attempting to raise the mast causing quite a mess. I know there's an enormous amount of stress on the boom and traveler while doing this. Makes me nervous every time.
View attachment 39165
I wonder if a metal fabrication shop could repair that and make it stronger than ever. I've been amazed at times with what they can do.
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I wonder if a metal fabrication shop could repair that and make it stronger than ever. I've been amazed at times with what they can do.
Frank
Plus One (or two) to Frank's reply. The little independent machine shop that built my new ss rails and replaced one tweaked leg on one pulpit does all sort of little stuff like that all the time. Owner Randy likes a little 'metal smithing' challenge. He lives near Scappoose, so that's a bit far for you.
I betcha there are little shops in your area that can repair metal "do dads" reasonably.

Last edited:

gabriel

Live free or die hard
View attachment 39165
Wow! Did your mast fall? I’m worried about this every time I raise the mast as well.

cagarren

Member I
Plus One (or two) to Frank's reply. The little independent machine shop that built my new ss rails and replaced one tweaked leg on one pulpit does all sort of little stuff like that all the time. Owner Randy like a little 'metal smithing' challenge. He lives near Scappoose, so that's a bit far for you.
I betcha there are little shops in your area that can repair metal "do dads" reasonably.
Ah ok, we got a heck of a machinist at work. I'll take it to him to look at.

Thanks!

cagarren

Member I
Wow! Did your mast fall? I’m worried about this every time I raise the mast as well.
Only about a foot. Luckily it let go when I first started, it could of been disaster if much higher. Even so it plunged the boom right through my forward hatch. :( I'm trying to think up some kind of mast crutch thingy to help with that first high stress 30- 40 degrees or so. Also might use the winch on my truck instead of the mainsheet.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Only about a foot. Luckily it let go when I first started, it could of been disaster if much higher. Even so it plunged the boom right through my forward hatch. :( I'm trying to think up some kind of mast crutch thingy to help with that first high stress 30- 40 degrees or so. Also might use the winch on my truck instead of the mainsheet.
Glad nothing happened! You don’t bring your main sheet forward to your mast winch to crank it up?

Last edited:

cagarren

Member I
Glad nothing happened! You don’t bring your main sheet back to your mast winch to crank it up?
I do, Its hard though trying to do it by myself, or with the wife and kid. I think winch on end of boom from the stern with me guiding it and wife on the button might be better. As long as nothing gets hung up unseen...

klb67pgh

Member III
My E25 has a beefier looking gooseneck I think. I will see if there are any markings and grab a few pics when I am up at the boat this weekend if you need to replace it. I concur w the machine shop recommendation though.

cagarren

Member I
Ok I was thinking last night, do you E 25 owners lift the roller jib assembly also when raising the mast? I'm trying to think if releasing the jib halyard would be less weight to lift or just complicate getting everything secured once the mast is standing.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have not done this particular chore on your model, but did lower & raise the spar on our former Niagara 26, twice. It had an un-tapered 34 foot spar, with a fractional rig. (Huge main for the size of the boat.) It was hinged to tilt down aft, so we used the spinnaker pole as a "gin pole". That was a 'weaker' connection than a gooseneck fitting, actually. I had guy lines to each side for the mast and guy lines to each gunnel for the pole. Those were led aft to cleats and secondary winches.

A line from the pole end was led back to a primary winch. It went well with no problems, but I and a friend had to constantly adjust the length of those guy lines every foot or so of mast movement due to changing the geometry of the temporary supporting rig.

Previously, I helped a friend do this on his O'Day 23, same approx. setup, except his boat had swaged ss triangles near the bottom portion of each shroud to allow them to be guyed separately and keep their pivot point aligned with the mast step hinge -- pretty cool idea if you were doing this very often.
Sounds like your boat uses the boom and lets the spar tilt down forward. Should be fine as long as the main sheet is long enough. My guess is that the old gooseneck was worn and weak and ready to be rebuilt anyway. Lucky no one was hurt. Yikes, as they say!

Last edited:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
When you get a chance look at the mast raising system developed by Klacko Spars. I use a modified version of this to raise the 40ft. mast on my E-28/2. Always nerve wracking no matter how many times I do it. Also look at the E-27 manual as it describes a method similar to the one Loren mentioned above.

klb67pgh

Member III
In case it helps, attached are 2 pics of my gooseneck. There is a sizable nut inside the boom that connects the boom end to the goodeneck. I have been meaning to photograph and do a post on the mast raising system my prior owner devised. It is simple, elegant, and works well. Someday. A key to reducing the stress on the gooseneck is it uses the main sheet run backwards to the winch on the mast. I also lash the gooseneck to the mast to ensure it cannot slide in either direction during the lifting operation. Good luck. 20210606_075306.jpg20210606_075313.jpg

In case it helps, attached are 2 pics of my gooseneck. There is a sizable nut inside the boom that connects the boom end to the goodeneck. I have been meaning to photograph and do a post on the mast raising system my prior owner devised. It is simple, elegant, and works well. Someday. A key to reducing the stress on the gooseneck is it uses the main sheet run backwards to the winch on the mast. I also lash the gooseneck to the mast to ensure it cannot slide in either direction during the lifting operation. Good luck. View attachment 39216View attachment 39217
I have the same gooseneck, and I am considering fixing its location on the mast.
Does anyone have experience converting a sliding gooseneck to fixed?
I am not entirely convinced of the security of the knurled thumb screw stop.

Last edited:
This might be the simplest solution!
D1150_S01_lg.jpg

klb67pgh

Member III
Regarding a fixed gooseneck, my recollection is I have to loosen the sail track stop and let the gooseneck drop down close to the deck in order to feed my mainsail luff in the track as I raise the sail. If you have a mast car system, maybe that would work??