My E27 Mast Has only 1 Halyard Winch

My E27 Mast Has only 1 Halyard Winch. Original 1977 equipment nothing led to cockpit. No Spinnaker.

The 1 existing halyard winch is on the Port side of the mast, which in my case at least, is the Main halyard side.
There is nothing but a cleat on the Starboard side for the headsail halyard.

It is certainly not difficult to raise sail by hand, but it is sure difficult to get the Scallops out of the headsail luff in any moderate to heavy wind.
im not lacking for any performance in these conditions, i just cant help feeling that i look like a dork going around with a scalloped headsail alla time.
"why doesn't that guy tighten his Jib Halyard?"

can I add a winch to the starboard side of the mast without causing any structural or rig design problems?
If yes, where can I find the curved mounting base? I have a nice spare winch in the garage, but the bottom of course is flat and the mast is not flat it is curved.
?
Thanks,
tom

Examples:
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• barlowmastwinch.jpg
    barlowmastwinch.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 221
  • lewmarmastwinch.jpg
    lewmarmastwinch.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 213

Steve A

Member II
I think you should just swap halyards ( and all the boats I've sailed had main on stbd.) you should have a down haul on main to tension.

dthriftusa

I also found that it works much better to have the main on the starboard and the headsail on the port side where I can use the winch. I use a Cunningham to remove the scallops on the main. I have a '78 model and do lead the main and asymetrical halyards to the cockpit.

dt222

Member III
On my 1975 '27 I also only have one mast-mounted winch on the port side, which I use for the head sail (on a furler, so is only raised when changing sails). My main sail halyard is routed starboard side, through 2 fair-leads to a jam cleat, all mounted cabin-top, and if need be, I could use the starboard jib sheet winch to raise the main, but I never do. I always raise the main when headed directly into the wind, and have never had a problem.

I think you could add another winch to the starboard side of the mast, but you would have to make an aluminum mounting bracket to match the curve, and have it welded to the mast. It would be easier to mount a winch to the starboard side cabin top (and I have seen pictures of other '27s with such an arrangement).

Here is a shot of what the fair leads look like

Don

Attachments

• P6220235.jpg
    P6220235.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 201

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would put the other winch on the mast. All you have to do is make a base to receive the curve of the mast section. I'd make it out of unapproved non-nautical Trex decking, my secret for that sort of thing. Or oak, which even if unvarnished would last for 17.9 years. The winch is attached with machine screws after drilling and tapping, a ten-minute job.

We really do need to crank the jib halyard tight. But of course, for thousands of years it was done with block and tackle, which is what a traditional boom vang is. People are terrified of block and tackles today, and go to great lengths to replace them with shiny alternatives. God forbid anybody have to rig anything whilst yachting, which is now considered more like sittign in a theater watching a movie of water going by.

At least you don't have halyards led back to the cockpit, that grand complicating overkill now considered absolutely mandatory by catalog illustrators.

No charge for these suggestions and opinions.

bigtyme805

Member III
I owned this E27 1971, which I updated to modern standards. I put on another winch. Never figured out why they did not make standard. I used teak backing plate for mine. No issues! Christian was right about being a quick job. I think if I had to do it again would run to cockpit if I hoisted my jib every time I went out. I opted for a furler because I solo sail most of the time.
amigowithnewpaint.jpg

Thanks all,
I appreciate both ideas.
for this weekend I will try swapping halyards, while I start to work on finding/making a mounting base to eventually mount the second winch on the mast.
I have never "tapped" holes before but I assume this is something I can find a tool for at the hardware store?
tom

Glyn Judson

Shaping a curve into a teak winch pad.

Tom, I made a teak base for my steaming light and curved it to match the mast by sticking an 8", adhesive-backed, 80 grit sanding disc to the mast. Then I "sanded" the teak base until it fit the mast like a hand in a glove, photos attached. Glyn Judson, E31 hull#55, Marina del Rey CA Hull #55, W:C Nav. light, steaming, top.jpgHull #55, W:C Nav. light, steaming, bottom.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have never "tapped" holes before

Like everything else these days, it's all explained on YouTube
:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tng-40zrUY0

Thanks Glyn, what a great tip! I will most certainly use that method! i'll bet you're good at reverse-engineering stuff?

Thanks for the link Christian. Yep, aint it the truth, just about anything you want to know about anything is on the net! im currently using it to build a sprinkler system.

Best to all,
tom