Multi-Year Bottom Paint

joerun26

Member II
That time of year again ... I'll be applying bottom paint before going back in the water in late March and do not plan on takeout again for 2 years. In the past I've used Interlux Micron Extra Multi Year ablative paint and its worked well - but pricey$$.. I was wondering if anyone has experience with any Blue Water products. They list the Copper Shield (45% copper) as a multiyear paint for about half the price of the Interlux.. They also have higher copper content paints.

I'm located off the Chesapeake Bay in the Rappahannock River, and I do have a diver clean the running gear every month or two in the summer months.

Thanks,
Joe
"Tenacious"
35-III

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Interlux

Joe------ You are happy with the paint, right!!! Why change. Blue Water Products who in the F&%$k are they! Sorry Im drunk, but I know what I'm talking about. Rob Hessenius

joerun26

Member II
Multi Year Paint

I'll have what he's havin' .....

Blue Water received positive reviews by Practical Sailor a few years ago when compared against the "big boys".. I'd be interested if anyone has use this product and what their experience has been (I'd rather put the extra cash elsewhere..)

Thanks,
joe

Emerald

Couple thoughts. First, be slow to change paints just based on the PS reviews. I left my real life experiences behind to do this (switch paints based on reviews), and got a bottom covered with barnacles. Seriously, I'll have to add a picture later today of the crab dining off my bottom early last spring as we rocked Emerald to get a view of how bad it really was. Second, Interlux has a line of what I think of as "yard paints" under the Nautical label, which if your marina is friendly, they might sell you at a nice savings. I've got a friend who went to the Interlux Nautical Super Ablative from the CSC, and it has worked well for him. Here's a link to Interlux website with a page on this:

http://www.yachtpaint.com/USA/nautical/default.asp

Emerald

crab lunch

as mentioned above, I experimented last year and it didn't go quite as planned. Here's a pic of a small blue crab eating lunch off my barnacle covered bottom.

:eek:

Attachments

• barnacle-crab.jpg
    barnacle-crab.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 219