Moving an Ericson 25+

Clongwell

I have a contract in on an Ericson 25+ that's currently at teh Annapolis Sail yard. Problem is, we live at Lake Hartwell SC. Now we have to get it here.

We've had some quotes in the $1700 range. That is roughly 1/4 of what we bought the boat for and it seems a bit steep. Does anyone know of any less expensive haulers?

Thanks,
Christine

PkandLisa

I moved my Ericson 35 three years ago from Boston, MA to Deltaville, VA. I believe I paid around 1,500. That was about $1,000 less than other prices I had been quoted, but it was only because the trucking company had an empty load going in that direction. We also bought in the fall (popular time for trucking boats south), so it was tough to find that rate and it just took a lot of calling around. I don't want to scare you, but all together the move was a few thousand dollars between unstepping the mast (800), trucking (1,500) and reassembling it (1,200). Take advantage of the mast being down to do whatever needs to be done (I should have done more of this).

Parker

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Make the trip

If you can make the time, one of the best delivery experiences in my life was my first trip from Annapolis down the Chesapeake-entering the ICW at the bottom of the bay in VA, then going through the ICW-VA, NC, etc. We always had to punch offshore at Beaufort, NC due to the high masts of the boats we were on, and the low bridges south of there, but you may be able to stay inside farther-you definitely could if you dropped the rig somewhere in NC-lash it to the deck, and be a power boat the last hundred miles or so, until you get to a point close enough where you can haul and get a cheaper ride to your Lake.
Every time I have made this trip, it was a revelation-incredible beauty, great people, and a slice of Americana most people will never see. Sailing across Pamlico Sound in NC was awesome!

Granted, it has been more years than I care to remember, but I remember it was great!

The trip is reasonably short, and you have a good boat to do it on.

Go on your own bottom as far as you can-break her !

Last edited:

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
My thoughts exactly Seth! Great way to get acquainted with the boat (after a shakedown sail of course), and the whole trip is pretty well protected, so you should be quite comfortable.

Nate

Clongwell

The Money pit

Unfortunately we don't have the time to sail her down, and she's in no shape to go back in the water yet. :esad: There's a lot of work to do and we have to get her down here to do it.

In the mean time I got a nice quote from American Boat Carriers. $1400. Not bad. Not good, but not bad.

...And then we got a $1500 estimate for decomissioning and packing, which is almost 1/4 of what we paid for the boat. (It's filthy and smells bad) Is it just me, or is that WAY too much? The boat is sitting on second street in Annapolis. It needs to 10 feet to a trailer on the street.

I know everything is more expensive in Annapolis, but GEEZ!

Thanks,

Christine

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Annapolis $'s

Yep... that's the key. We used to keep our boat at the marina on second street in Eastport. Our current slip fees in Solomons, MD (an hour south) are half the price for twice the marina.
What all was included in the decommission and packing? could you eliminate any of it? I would assume $350-500 for pulling the mast, then another $500 for dropping it on the trailer... what's the rest for?

gjersvik

Member II
Another point to consider....

Another point to consider is that the trucking firm probably pays a large insurance premium which in turn is passed on to customers. I'm not trying to defend their costs, but there is a standard of care they have to meet beyond what a regular over the road driver has to meet.