Mounting air conditioning unit in settee locker32-3

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Mounting air conditioning unit in settee locker 32-3

My search results aren't giving me a good or bad answer - I have decided to mount my air conditioning unit in the port aft settee locker. My question is, can I screw directly into the bottom of the locker, or do I have to put a plywood shelf in the bottom of the locker first?

This is a 1987 32-3.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

bobplummer

air conditioning

i have marien air on my 1984 e-35 #166 it is on the port side and you must glue down plywood to mount the unit under the settee. you will love it. captain bob 208 683 2688.

tadslc

Member III
Saw this kinda late but if I understand you correctly, you'd like to mount your A/C unit in the port aft locker in front of the chart table?
Just an FYI but on my boat this is where the factory mounts the senders for the knot meter and depth gauge are mounted. Can't mount anything permanent in there.

I'm surprised yours is different.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Saw this kinda late but if I understand you correctly, you'd like to mount your A/C unit in the port aft locker in front of the chart table?
Just an FYI but on my boat this is where the factory mounts the senders for the knot meter and depth gauge are mounted. Can't mount anything permanent in there.

I'm surprised yours is different.

Thanks, you do understand me correctly. My Knot meter/depth gauge senders are under the v-berth.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
True, but I think most use GPS for speed when cruising these days, and many depth sounders use transducers that don't need a through-hull and can be located elsewhere.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
>>>My Knot meter/depth gauge senders are under the v-berth.

Where? Perhaps access under the drawers? If original, this was a change from 1985.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
>>>My Knot meter/depth gauge senders are under the v-berth.

Where? Perhaps access under the drawers? If original, this was a change from 1985.

Yes, under the drawers. It is a 1987 32-3, and I believe it is original. There is no sign of holes in the aft locker.

Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
AC Mounting

You may have already figured this out but how are you going to duct the return air?

When we were looking at where to install the our Mermaid 16,500 one suggestion was in the starboard aft locker under. The challenge was that it would require the return air vent to be in the back wall of the head and would also require a vent in the door to the head. You may not have the aft head in your model....

We instead installed the unit in the hanging locker in the aft cabin (starboard side) and made a nice teak return vent in place of the doors. Again, you may not have the same cabin layout...

If I can be of any help to you, contact me via PM.
Rick

PS You will love it for sure!

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
You may have already figured this out but how are you going to duct the return air?

When we were looking at where to install the our Mermaid 16,500 one suggestion was in the starboard aft locker under. The challenge was that it would require the return air vent to be in the back wall of the head and would also require a vent in the door to the head. You may not have the aft head in your model....

We instead installed the unit in the hanging locker in the aft cabin (starboard side) and made a nice teak return vent in place of the doors. Again, you may not have the same cabin layout...

If I can be of any help to you, contact me via PM.
Rick

PS You will love it for sure!

Thanks Rick. The return will be under the nav station, drawing from the direction of the quarter-berth. I will modify the nav station drop down drawer with full flow, screened side panels.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Thanks Rick. The return will be under the nav station, drawing from the direction of the quarter-berth. I will modify the nav station drop down drawer with full flow, screened side panels.

Good deal!

I couldnt stand the thought of recirculating the "bouquet of the head"</SPAN>
:0

Ccaptain

Ccaptain
Type glue?

You can use West System. It will provide good adhesion and provide a water proof seal as well. Not being exposed to UV leaves that problem out of the equation.

gulfcoaster

Member III
Ours is forward.

1987 32-3. Under V-berth off to starboard. Return air vent to right of V-berth drawers under cushion. Works fine. 14 years..

Ccaptain

Ccaptain
Totally wet

In that case would I coat the whole board and put it in the locker wet?

I'm use used it as recommended by Pettit as a barrier coat on my Ericson 34. So yes is the answer. Plus I've used it years ago in the same application on one of my one design sail boats.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
My final Air Conditioning installation E32-III

IMG_20140708_145658-1.jpgIMG_20140708_145719.jpgIMG_20140708_145746.jpgIMG_20140708_145816.jpgIMG_20140708_145840.jpg

So, let me say, this system works great.

It is a 16,700 BTU unit from Ocean Breeze. Unit is installed in the port aft settee locker. Supplies are out of that locker and the port midships locker. Fans move the cool air around and even the v-berth is comfortable on a hot night.

The return is under the nav station, through the nav station drawer, and into the aft panel of the aft port settee locker.

The thru-hull, strainer and pump are in the forward port settee locker. The big compromise is losing locker space, but for a day sailor, weekend ovenighter, we decided that compromise was right for us.

I'll add the pump locker picture in the next post.

I forgot to get a picture of the discharge, it is on the port side. That was the most difficult hose to run.

Thanks,

Steve Pretti
1987 E32-III "Glory Days"

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
AC Pump locker E32-III

IMG_20140708_150053.jpg

Thru-hull, strainer, and pump in forward port settee locker.

Last edited: