More E 30+ questions...

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I have a couple of questions regarding the Kenyon boom on the 1985 E 30+.

The outhaul car is somewhat corroded and frozen in its track. How can I free it? And related to that, the line for the outhaul exits the bottom of the boom near the mast, but there doesn't appear to be a cleat for it. Where does it normally cleat?

The topping lift line exits the boom on the starboard side and is tied off to a cleat a few inches forward of the exit. Is there supposed to be another similar cleat for the outhaul somewhere on the boom?

Finally, on each side of the aft end of the boom there are short tracks attached; maybe 15 or 20 inches long. Nothing is attached to these tracks. What are they used for? (I found the following photo in another thread. It shows the same kind of track.)

Attachments

• Boom_track.jpg
    Boom_track.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Different end fitting on your Kenyon than on ours, but same looking section...
and you do have the same track for the reefing tie-offs. I took that track off years ago, as we use the system of leading the reef line from the sheave at the end... up thru the cringle... and down to the boom... and then around under it and ending with a tied eye around the part that goes up to the cringle. I used to have a diagram, somewhere...
:rolleyes:

Loren

Meanolddad

Member III
My Outhaul is led back to a rope clutch and then to one of the winches on the cabinhouse. The tracks are for the mainsail reeflines. One is for the first reef and the other is for a second reef. My out haul is difficult at best. I sent Sean a diagram that came with my 30+ that explains all the lines associated with the boom. It should be in the documents section.

If you have any other questions I am going to the boat Sunday for a daysail and will look it over.

Greg

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
That picture is not of the boom on my boat. It is a picture from another thread that I saw that happened to have the same track attached to the boom.

The reefing lines on my boom are lead through sheaves at the back and front of the boom then back to rope clutches on the cabin top.

The line for the outhaul is a rope/wire line and the rope part where it exits the boom is only a few feet long.

I'll look for that diagram...

Meanolddad

Member III
Yes the reefing lines come out of the boom and then up through the reef point on the sail and back down to a slide on the track. In your example picture the line that is attached to the track is the end of the reef line. The track is there so you can move the end of the line for the best shape of the reefed main.
If you can not find the diagram, let me know and I will send you a copy.

Greg

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I get it now. On my setup the reefing lines are tied directly to each reef clew then go through the boom and out to the rope clutches on the cabin top.

Is any one setup better than another?

Meanolddad

Member III
Best in my opinion is back down to the tracks. You have more control over mainsail shape by moving the car around on the track and there is a 2 to 1 purchase to pull the sail in to the reefed position.
Greg

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I get it now. On my setup the reefing lines are tied directly to each reef clew then go through the boom and out to the rope clutches on the cabin top.

Is any one setup better than another?

Definitely attach the standing end of the reef lines to the boom. If they're just tied to the reef clew cringle the boom will be low when reefed, and the leech will be very full. It's not an alternate setup, as much as a mistake, IMO.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
There is a track on each side of the boom. I am assuming that one reef line goes to each track? Also, the track is a bit corroded and I think one of them actually has a piece broken off near the end. I'll have to take a closer look next time I'm down there.

What kind of knot is used to attach the standing end of the line to the track car?

Meanolddad

Member III
Correct, one reef line to each track. I think that I used a Bowline on mine, probably the best knot that I know.:redface: Did you find the Ericson diagram for the boom?
Greg