Moor Instruments

tadslc

Member III
EMS - Moor Instruments

Has anyone tried Moor instruments in place of their aging Datamarine instruments? In particular the depth and speed indicators.

My Datamarine instruments are on their last legs and in my search for a viable replacement that won't break the bank, I came across Moor. They are the same 4" diameter as the originals which is a plus and they seem to be priced more inline with sanity.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Tad

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Have you considered just having your units refurbed? www.datamarineinstruments.com They way I understand it those old units are bulletproof and can actually be repaired, maintained, unlike the new disposable stuff. Consider this coming from someone who recently wrestled with TWO complete instrument system replacements. RT

Meanolddad

Member III
Hi Tad
I put a pair of Moor instruments in Regulus a few months ago. I had to extend both leads from the transducers to the instruments. The knot meter one was particularly short, probably a good 8 feet or so. The depthsounder seems to work fine. I have not put the paddle wheel in the water yet. I hate opening that hole in the bottom of the boat. I will do it the next time we go sailing and see how it works. They were pretty easy to install. The hardest part was bringing the leads throuth the boat to the instruments.
Hope this helps
Greg

e38sailorman

Member II
I had my Datamarine depthsounder and speedo rebuilt a few years ago, they continue to work great

Marc
E38 WaveWalker
Gig Harbor Wa

tadslc

Member III
Thanks for all the replies but I must embarrassingly admit that my current instruments are SR Mariner, NOT Datamarine.

I don't know what can over me and Steve at DMI must think I'm crazy.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
SR Mariner.....Disaster

Hi Tad: I had SR Mariner instruments for years..... 79 to 96...BUT....the reason they lasted as long as they did is that I sent them in for Maintainence every fall.

There was a contact there that I spoke to every year...can't remember his name....but about $40 did the trick...in hindsight....would have been much better off with better instruments......and....in 96 replaced them with Standard Horizon....they worked great......ten years...no problems,.....

I have old Raymarine ST 40 and 50 that came with this boat...so far so good...but time will tell....

All adds up to hopefully you get what you pay for.....FWIW

Captron

Member III
Dmi

I sent in my depth sounder for repair to the DMI shop. I assume that they did a good job but here's the rub.

The front glass on mine has interior paint damage and doesn't look very good. The glass can't be replaced because they're no longer available.

The DMI folks charged me $175 to refurb the unit. They replaced the alarm switch and some corroded terminals, etc on the back-plane.

I installed the refurbed unit and guess what? It still does not work! Apparently now I need to buy a transducer and rewire the thingy. A new shoot thru the hull transducer is not cheap. Plus the existing transducer is buried under the A/C unit under the port setee.

So now I have the same old ugly, round, obsolete, instrument that just cost me $175, doesn't work any better than it did before and I'm faced with spending even more to 'try' a new transducer. Who knows if that'll work.

I could have replaced the antiques with modern stuff for less than this 'restoration' will end up costing. The knot meter also doesn't work but the paddle wheel cannot be removed from inside apparently it's a permanent thru hull fitting. I won't be sending that in for repair.
:esad:

Howard Keiper

Same topic, different instruments:
I've had Standard Horizon instruments in Sea Quest for years, 2nd set actually. I discovered that the sun has just about destroyed the black background inside the bezel and it flakes off and is just ugly to look at...although the instrument still works fine. What I discovered though is that the white markings on the faceplate are printed (silk screened, probably) on the reverse side of the glass and remain essentially pristine, and only the black background needs to be replaced, an easy procedure. It can make an otherwise junky looking instrument look almost new.
Howard Keiper
Berkeley

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I sent in my depth sounder for repair to the DMI shop. I assume that they did a good job but here's the rub.

The front glass on mine has interior paint damage and doesn't look very good. The glass can't be replaced because they're no longer available.

The DMI folks charged me $175 to refurb the unit. They replaced the alarm switch and some corroded terminals, etc on the back-plane.

I installed the refurbed unit and guess what? It still does not work! Apparently now I need to buy a transducer and rewire the thingy. A new shoot thru the hull transducer is not cheap. Plus the existing transducer is buried under the A/C unit under the port setee.

So now I have the same old ugly, round, obsolete, instrument that just cost me $175, doesn't work any better than it did before and I'm faced with spending even more to 'try' a new transducer. Who knows if that'll work.

I could have replaced the antiques with modern stuff for less than this 'restoration' will end up costing. The knot meter also doesn't work but the paddle wheel cannot be removed from inside apparently it's a permanent thru hull fitting. I won't be sending that in for repair.
:esad:

What the heck Ron? Why didn't you replace those transducers when you had it out to straighten the rudder? ;) If you plan on upgrading I installed the Raymarine ST60+'s last season. Easy to install and relatively cheap at $1200 for the entire set. RT

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I used the second folks and I was disappointed. They are very specific about packing the wind vane to avoid damage which I did. The return shipment had a damaged wind vane because they packed it poorly. They tried and failed again. 3rd time was a charm.

Emerald

I used the second folks and I was disappointed. They are very specific about packing the wind vane to avoid damage which I did. The return shipment had a damaged wind vane because they packed it poorly. They tried and failed again. 3rd time was a charm.

Well that sucks. I had a wind speed/direction masthead unit also repaired, but without event. They also sold me the LCD (don't know that they still do this since it's not listed anymore) so I could repair my depth finder display myself.