Molding material for non-skid

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
What can I use to create a flexible rubbery mold for repairing a couple small areas of non-skid on my deck. Is there something I can get locally?

I want to pour some goo on a good part of non-skid, let it dry, peel it off. Apply thickened epoxy to a damaged part of non-skid, and then lay the rubber mold over it with weight to recreate the pattern.

Thanks, Nate

Glyn Judson

Nate, About a hundred years ago when I lived in Vancouver BC, I had a friend do just that very successfully. He slatehred Vaseline over a good portion of the non skid to act as a mold release. He then gooped silicone sealer on a piece of cardboard and plopped that on the Vaseline. He used weights (bricks maybe? can't remember) to press the silicone into the pattern. The end result was really cool, it was a perfect pattern of the non skid and the right size he needed to replicate the non skid on the adjacent repair. Hope this helps, Glyn

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
That's the kind of no-cost-no-mail-order solution I'm looking for Glyn! :)

What solvent will clean up vaseline afterwards?

By silicone sealer, you just mean silicone caulk? Like kitchen/bath 100% silicone sealant?

Glyn Judson

Nate, Acetone and a bunch of paper towels would do a good job of removing the Vaseline. Bath tub silicone caulk would probably work. It should remain pliable after curing so as to conform to any unevenness on the deck at the repair site. That's why the use of cardboard for the silicone instead of plywood, etc. I suppose if your repair location were absolutely flat, a chunk of plywood would work too but I remember their using cardboard quite successfuly. Glyn