Modifications - What's the Impact?

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Here's something interesting...

We noticed that someone listed (on eBay) and then retracted an E35-2 for sale in Florida. The boat has had some modifications to it (shortened boom, and moved helm it appears)...see images below.

My question is this: What do these types of modifications do to the performance of the boat, and overall safety in operation (and I guess, re-sale value)? I know we have lots of Ericson former employees, engineers, etc here - so I'm wondering what you guys think about this...

What I'm interested in creating this thread is having a discussion to educate people away from making these kinds of modifications in the first place, and providing some practical advice to buyers who might run into these situations...

One word of caution, however - please don't bash the owner (as there is a story behind this - and he's not the one who did the mods) - what I'm seeking is a practical discussion on how these types of modifications affect the hull itself....

Anyone? :egrin:

//sse

Attachments

• 9f98_12.jpg
    9f98_12.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 99f8_12.jpg
    99f8_12.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 125

Kevin Johnston

Member III
Modifications - Boom length

It is funny that we can make modifications for performance to a sports car and value usually will go up. But when we make modifications to the standing rig of a sailboat some will look down on this. That said...

Boom length.
My experiences are that most Ericsons have a fair amount of weatherhelm. If you are in an area that has alot of wind where you primarily sail, shortening the boom could make the boat actually perform better. By shortening up the boom this may make the boat easier to handle as well.

Alternatively, you could simply reef, or add additional reef points but if you were to always start out with a reef given consistent local conditions, shortening the boom really isn't that bad of an idea.

The main sail dimensions will no longer meet the factory specifications. But, why do most loft ask for physical measurements of the boom, and and mast before cutting new sails? Tall rig, compared to regular rig, and other factory, professional rigger or previous owner modificaitons. I would hate to go through the expense of purchasing a new main sail only to find out later it didn't fit.

If the sail inventory has been modified accordingly, I personally believe that these alterations should not reduce or increase the value of resale of the boat. However, you may have reduced the potential target market since some traditionalists (alot of sailors are) that would not buy a modified standing rig.

Last edited:
Modification- Boom height

This is good timeing on this subject. As a winter project I moved the goose-neck fitting on my mast 9" up. My original Main was long overdue for replacment and now would be the time to do this Mod. I can now stand in the cockpit without the boom being at (ear) level. It is in the plan to install a Dodger and Bimini, which would have been almost impossible before.

The down side of doing this is the loss of 10 sq.ft of sail. With the very powerfull 150 headsail, It should have limited affect. ??????

I would like to hear from the Old Salt's on this.

Rich
s/v BREEZE
1983 25+

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Mods and value

I can't see where or how the helm position may have been moved, but looking at the pic, it seems clear this owner shotened the boom so he/she could sail with the bimini rigged over a large area of the cockpit. It would have been consistent with this idea to move the helm forward. In the case of the 35-II, the boom shortening would hurt the boat in light air and downwind, but not enough to bother a cruiser, IMHO. Moving the wheel up front in the cockpit would likely help this particular model, as they tend to pitch quite a bit to begin with, and this would get weight out of the ends.

As to value, these things tend to hurt value for non-racers who like their classic boats stock. Any mods made to improve speed or efficiency would likely not hurt the value to a racing buyer, though.

For the 25+ guy raising his boom-I can understand-you will lose a bit of sail, but if you gain more utility or enjoyment who is to blame you? The 30+ also has a very low boom, yet has enough horsepower that losing a few square feet of main would only hurt performance in the lightest of air...

I dunno...

S

sleather

Sustaining Member
My take on the E35-2

After reading Jeffs "complete" explanation of the history on the Fla E35-2 in question, it seems clear to me that the original owner(the old guy) had the Mods done to enable him to "solo" the boat easier. Moving the helm forward would give better access to "all" controls and the shortening the boom probably eliminated the need for the "first reef"(scary/dangerous alone). As to the wisdom of making the Mods, he had "lost" his wife and anything that kept him sailing is "fine by me"!(resale probably didn't cross his mind)

Rich, I concur w/ your plans! Low booms are dangerous!MHO Accidental gybes are the greatest cause of injury occurring in the cockpit! Unless you have years of racing/cruising experience to heighten your awareness(a few good lumps help) avoidance is the best defense(NO Impact). The Dodger & Bimini are a nice bonus!
I spent many years on a racing boat that required a good crouch to keep from getting "beaned" during a tack or gybe. I don't even think about it now(nuting left to tink with).LOL When you sell, "nobody" will notice, they'll be "OOOOing" the canvas work!
Many "lesser" boats carry the "headroom" thing to extremes(9" is not extreme)!

Rich, so are you keeping the boat?

Last edited:

Capt Jeff

Member I
As information arises

Hey y'all,
Jeff here. I just found that the elder gent did not make the changes ( the trio that bought the boat from him said he did) as he purchased the boat from Cali as a proven racer somewhere around 1987 with mods already done.
We are setting up a meeting so he can show and tell everything about the boat. Anyone seeking pics of certain items on "Sadie Blu" can email me or ask on the board and I'll try to ablige the best I can. I would like to help the group as they help me.:)

Thanks, Jeff

bigtyme805

Member III
Jeff is that the original boom cut down or a different boom altogether?

The only differences I see that hurt this boat are:
1. Light air performance-downwind especially.
2. Racing, PHRF rating.
3. Possible Resale Value, boat not worth a lot anyway so this is a mood point.
4. Not being able to buy stock sail, will need custom fit sail. Sailmaker coming to boat and fitting out. This is usually more expensive.
5. More wind to get to hull speed.

Positive differences:
1. Not having to reef in 18k+ winds.
2. Not much weather helm. Less heel.
3. Having bimini up all the time, no sunburns!
4. Less stress on rig in windy conditions. debatable!
5. Easier to raise mainsail, less weight.

With all this said Jeff what kind of winds do you like to sail in?

In Channel Islands, CA where I sail out of I have to reef pretty often at 18k to keep my boat from heeling so much. I would have to look at my log to see how often that actually is. Now I sail 3x per week on average usually for 4-5 hour sails. Reefing is a pain in the arssssss. But on the other hand I would never cut my boom down because in light air I would want maximum performance.

Case in point:
1. An Ericson 35 won the transpacific overall honors from San Fran to Hawaii. Why did he win? First and foremost he is an excellent sailor, second the winds this particular year were light. The boat your in performs great in light winds. So with this all said your boat is made for light winds..................

2. An Ericson 32 won the overall honors for the Santa Barbara to King Harbor Race. Why did he win? This particular year the winds were light. Remember he beat 50-70 ft sleds, multi million dollar boats. These boats {Ericsons} are made for light air performance. Oh I forgot to mention they are great sailors too.

My view is the person who made that modification should have bought a different boat. Probably a full keel cruiser with a small mainsail. He or she probably couldn't afford it and did the next best thing, cut the boom down. They probably sailed in heavy winds a majority of the time, per speculation.

If you are a daysailor you know your boat will perform best when it is windy.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Hey y'all,
Jeff here. I just found that the elder gent did not make the changes ( the trio that bought the boat from him said he did) as he purchased the boat from Cali as a proven racer somewhere around 1987 with mods already done.

The "story" gets curiouser and curiouser!

Maybe "SF", as mentioned in a prior thread. Reasonable modification for a SF racer.
"If" you choose to bring'er back(to stock), a boom replacement coinciding w/ a mainsail upgrade wouldn't be "that" expensive.
An E27'r(Kevin J)picked up a "nice boom" on e-bay(that word again) for $200.
The old main would still work as a back-up.

Last edited: