modifications and phrf ratings

sailinggiant

Hello gang, I recently submitted my e 27 "shoot the breeze" for a phrf certificate on the hudson river. The boat has had the atomic four removed, as well as the head, head door , and all water tanks. It seems it's taking hem a while to come up with rating. do these mods i have affect the rating much in other areas?

PHRF Rating in NY

Of course other areas would penalize you for taking out weight. Removing the engine and the water tanks and the head door amount to "stripping the boat." If you have gone that far, you probably have also taken out additional items to save weight. You've also, in my opinion, diminished the possible enjoyment factor of your E-27. When I raced my E-27 (1973) I raced it with everything in it, and then some. Rating was 265, West Florida PHRF.. The boat was ready to cruise at any time. Food on board. Water tank 3/4 full, etc. The last race I did, we beat some non-spinnaker boats that were stripped out on a boat-for-boat basis. We also won our class in a reverse handicap 12-mile race by 6:24. It isn't as much the weight that makes a boat fast as much as it's the bottom, the sails and crew.
Morgan Stinemetz

tenders

Innocent Bystander
In the handicap racing groups I've been a part of, having a working head installed, even a porta-potty, is an absolute requirement.

If I'm not mistaken the 27 came with and without the inboard engine option. I'd guess there is a "book" rating for yours without the inboard.

Removing cushions, doors, drawers, water, weight aloft, unnecessary fasteners, etc. is as far as I know just part of the game if you really want to get serious about it. But I doubt that beyond some point it will make much difference for a 30-year-old boat otherwise riddled with lumpy bottom paint, old foil shapes, heavy rigging, older sails, etc.

sailinggiant

Of course other areas would penalize you for taking out weight. Removing the engine and the water tanks and the head door amount to "stripping the boat." If you have gone that far, you probably have also taken out additional items to save weight. You've also, in my opinion, diminished the possible enjoyment factor of your E-27. When I raced my E-27 (1973) I raced it with everything in it, and then some. Rating was 265, West Florida PHRF.. The boat was ready to cruise at any time. Food on board. Water tank 3/4 full, etc. The last race I did, we beat some non-spinnaker boats that were stripped out on a boat-for-boat basis. We also won our class in a reverse handicap 12-mile race by 6:24. It isn't as much the weight that makes a boat fast as much as it's the bottom, the sails and crew.
Morgan Stinemetz
who said that i made the alterations? i appreciate your reply but please don't jump to conclusions this is the way i purchased the boat.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
who said that i made the alterations? i appreciate your reply but please don't jump to conclusions this is the way i purchased the boat.

Point taken. However, the handicapper may well give you a slightly-faster rating because of the perception that this reduction of interior weight has given your particular boat more potential speed.
I presume that you have an aux engine, even if it's an OB, which was a factory option on the 27. So the missing IB should not be an issue.

In reality I doubt that it will have any effect... those other missing bits of furniture weigh less than one more or less crew member, IMHO.

We're talking "nanoknots" at best! :)

My .02 worth,
Loren

Last edited:
E-27 w/o engine etc

I stand corrected. All 1973 Ericsons had a place for an inboard. My boat has an outboard. Honda. Marvelous engine. No drag when racing. The transom has a cutout for the outboard. Works for me. I would bet that PHRF might be stymied on rating an E-27 without an engine. They may have never done it.

Morgan Stinemetz

cimarronE35

Member I
Every ounce counts

When I started racing my E35-2 it was full of stuff. I lived on the boat as I do now, tons of clothes, big anchors, stuff, stuff and more stuff. I was allways DFL. Wasn't even close. My friend with a schock 35 I raced on started making fun of me. All the stuff came off, keep original equip. and everything else phfr required. All of a sudden we were mid fleet. If the conditions were right, we were top three. Now the bottom is faired and sprayed. Sails are slowly getting replaced, and we are winning often. The bottom and sails are very important, but cost $$$. Getting the crap off the boat is free.
I know that in SD OB e27's owe IB e27's 10 sec a mile. SD phrf hit my buddys I30 10 sec a mile when he removed is A4 & prop.

Outboard vs. Inboard

Ten seconds a mile is about right for West Florida PHRF, too. When you think of a lack of drag, it's simply too generous, but if you have an outboard then who wants to complain. The skipper who posted the note about getting the weight off and the bottom smooth was on the money. On my 27, moving the weight out of the ends and over the keel--MOM off the back and sails out of the forepeak--made a huge difference. Why is getting smart such a long process?

Morgan Stinemetz

sailinggiant

the results are in

so The Hudson river yacht racing association otherwise knon as hyra has given me my rating, all tallied i get a 243 phrf. i think thats great, the bottom has been faired and the sails although not racing sails are crisp. wednesday night here i come!