Milwaukee to the Apostles - route and marina recommendations?

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
Hey fellow freshwater sailors. We're moving up north, and hoping to sail our boat up to a new home in the Apostle islands area. I'm looking for advice on two things:

1. Opinions on marinas in the Ashland-Bayfield area.

2. The route and things to see along the way.
We're hoping to have ~3 months for the journey, early June-late August.
Hoping to make it over to the North Channel, maybe Georgian Bay. We've never been north of Frankfort or Washington Island. on Lake Michigan. St Mary's River and the Soo locks seem intimidating, as does the reputation of the gichi-gami.

All thoughts and advice appreciated. Thanks! -Tyler

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
I know nothing of the specifics you’re looking for Tyler, but that sounds like an excellent trip and relocation. Have fun! Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Gaviate

Member III
Hey Tyler, several sailors that winter where I do, spend their entire season cruising the North Channel. I have, as of yet, not been able to follow suit but it is of course on the list. Fayette Michigan is a charming place on the middle Eastern shore of Big Bay De Noc, North of Washington Island, and still North of the Summer Islands. There is alot of history to be found on Mackinac Island East of the Mackinac Bridge, but if you're close to the annual race you'll need reservations at any marina there. Once on Lake Superior, a waterside tour of the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is certainly worthy of any effort to get there. Munising Mi. is a fun place with shipwreck tours, several waterfall hikes and friendly locals. Here are a couple of links that I have saved in my bookmarks file pertaining to the St. Mary's River and Soo Locks. I'm sure much more is available on the net.
162.117 is the subchapter specific to the St. Mary's and an interesting thing I noted, that along with maximum speeds listed, there is also a minimum speed of 4.8 knots expected in any dredged channel there. This is actually near my top speed under power with my 10hp outboard!
Shoal waters abound seemingly everywhere and I would not dream of going anywhere without the proper charts aboard. I may be rather old school in this and a good chartplotter may be all that is needed with paper as back-ups.
https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-33/chapter-I/subchapter-P/part-162
Cheers,
--Gregory