Member designations

Keiffer

Member II
I have a questions regarding the member designations i.e. Junior Member, Contributing Member III, Sustaining Partner, Principal Partner, etc.

My first questions is how many of these designations are there? I like the concept, a rank to be achieved with advancement based on participation.
I have been a member of the site since 2010, and while I monitor the site daily I have not contributed as much as I should. This is something that I plan to change.

That is what got me thinking about these designations.
What constitutes a post? commenting on a thread that has already been started? Or only when you start a new thread?

How many post's trigger a new ranking? Does it vary between rankings? Is this information available anywhere, or is it like a secret scociety and your designation just changes when you least expect it?

If anyone has anything to share regarding my questions above I would be interested to hear, either way I am good with all of it.

This is a great site with solid members, several of whom I communicate with via email on a regular basis.

Keep up the great work!

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
That's a great question Keiffer. I am a fairly new member. I just figured if I am supposed to know, it will be revealed at the appropriate time; that all you guys already knew.
Other than that, it's a mystery.

paul culver

Member III
Looks like you have the eagle scout achievement gene. I asked this question years ago and one of the administrators answered that you can change your own designation. I don't remember the details. You might be able to promote yourself to Admiral of the Seven Seas without putting in the effort. Kind of like a trophy for every child.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

716Ericson27

Lake Erie Viking
Member Designation Custom

I just changed my member designation to Lake Erie Viking, It can be done by hitting settings in the upper right corner of the web page. Then click Edit Profile in the left side column. You will then find a member designation edit area. Type whatever you would like it to be in the empty box, and click save changes at the bottom right of page.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As I understand it, the standard designations are merely badges related to how many posts you have made.

Sort of useful, in a minor way, and harmless enough.

I'm not at all sure how useful it is to change or obscure that.

It's a traditional forum, isn't it? It sort of works, doesn't it?

There are several areas of the forum profile that can be personalized, including location and signature.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I just changed my member designation to Lake Erie Viking, It can be done by hitting settings in the upper right corner of the web page. Then click Edit Profile in the left side column. You will then find a member designation edit area. Type whatever you would like it to be in the empty box, and click save changes at the bottom right of page.

Are you kidding? Do you know how much time I wasted trying (and failing) to come up with a new boat name?