Masthead

Gale Buntain

I just received an 1970 E23 I #139 (according to the title) to refurbish. It's not in too bad of shape but needs work. I would appreciate any helpful information or comments concerning the masthead, it is not in good shape.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Gale,

Do you have a photo of the masthead? What seems to be wrong?

Mark
E23 Mk1

Gale Buntain

Masthead Repair

The masthead must have been worked on by the PO. It is welded in many places, even has a welded plate on one side where it is missing a chunk out of the original. It looks like it has been beaten by a hammer!! I will take some photos today and post them. I was wondering which manufacture Ericson used for their masts in 1970 for the E-23.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Gale Buntain

Masthead Pics

I hope you can see these pics of my masthead. I think the PO dropped the mast when the forestay broke. He must have replaced the mast (no damage and looks heavier than another E-23 mast I've seen) but repaired the masthead. I won't ever know since the previous owner passed away a few years ago. Let me know what you think.

THX

Attachments

• DSCN1015.jpg
    DSCN1015.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN1016.jpg
    DSCN1016.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN1017.jpg
    DSCN1017.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN1019.jpg
    DSCN1019.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 71

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Although it looks like he made a valiant effort to fix the masthead, if it were my boat, I think I would replace it. The masthead is a pretty key part of the rig, and should be absolutely reliable.

Depending on where you live, some of the experienced folks here might be able to suggest where you might find a replacement.

Frank.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I took some photos of my masthead and the mast at the spreaders. It looks like my masthead is different than yours, it is welded in place and not a removable part. This is from a 1968 Ericson 23 mk1.

Attachments

• DSCN3110.JPG
    DSCN3110.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN3106.jpg
    DSCN3106.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 80