Masthead rigging question

Annapolis E-27

Member III
I hope someone can help. While I realize my Isomat spar with its NG-1 masthead are not original to Ericson it is what I have. When I replaced my wire/rope halyard a couple of years ago with all rope I ran
it the same way as the original was. The wire came out a small opening at the base of the masthead to run very close and parallel to the mast. Now my halyard is fraying where it goes through that opening in the masthead. Looking at the picture I am wondering if I have run the rigging properly. I think that maybe the main and topping lift should be coming out of the opening that appears to have nothing in it. According to the NG-1 diagram there should be a roller in there. Can anyone provide advice on how to properly run my main halyard through a NG-1?

Attachments

• NG1_Masthead.html_txt_Iso_NG1_masthead.jpg
    NG1_Masthead.html_txt_Iso_NG1_masthead.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 550
  • ng1-masthead-crop.jpg
    ng1-masthead-crop.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 268

Guy Stevens

Yes.

They should come out over the sheaves that are missing on your mast. The fact that they ever came out where they are now is very strange!

Annapolis E-27

Member III
Guy,

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Do you know if I should be putting in the 50mm or 60mm sheaves for the main halyard? The rigrite page says the size depends on the location but gives no real direction.

Thanks again,