Mast wanted for Ericson 39

Gordoncruise

Hi everyone,

I need to replace my mast on my 39 flushdeck. If anyone has one in good shape, please call me at 407-535-2910.

Also, can anyone tell me if a 55-foot, double spreader SELDON mast will work? Does anyone know the length of the original Ericson 39 mast???!!!

Help!!!!!!! and Happy Holidays to all!

Gordon

stillwater

Member II
E39 mast

Hi,
The mast on my 1971 39 hull # 36 is a Ted Hood single spreader mast. Single lowers with a baby stay to the front of the spreaders. This is the original mast and the chain plates were changed from the original design. The mast is 59' overall and has a standard E39 sail plan. Boom is about 12'.

Depending on where you sail a shorter mast would probably be OK. We sail the boat in the northwest and liked a short hoist (45') #2 jib 22' foot with a full or single reefed main. Often times rolling up the jib to 80-90% in 20-25 knots of wind. My point being that the 39 sails very well with not a lot of sail up. Selden makes good stuff. I use a selden 300 furler and I have worked on older Selden masts that seem pretty OK.

I think the 39B has a 3' shorter rig as standard so a 4' shorter would probably work.

Regards,
Dal Farias
S/V Stillwater, Bellingham WA