Mast. to sand or not to sand...

Desiderata

Member II
After a lighting strike that took out our VHF antennea, stereo, and several (expensive) LED bulbs in the anchor, steaming and speader lights, we've taken the mast of our E-27 down for repairs. We were told we needed masthead sheaves (Thanks Guy, for the source for new ones). A longstanding local rigger whose opinion we value, said we could recondition the old ones and did. While milling around the hoist, we saw his aluminum Stilletto mast on saw horses and noticed he had sanded it down (150 grit). Looks pretty good. Got to thinking I might do the same, but was concerned that after sanding off anodization, that some form of sealer may be necessary. When asked, he said he'd done the sanding 3-4 years ago and just left it and it still looked quite impressive. I'm not at all interested in making more work than I already have by painting or sealing it. Just wanted a 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th) opinion. Anybody?

Mike :confused:

sleather

Sustaining Member
I've used those green Scotch-Brite pads to remove halyard marks and even out the "patina". Works well with NO follow-up, but I see only fresh water so the salt's not an issue.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Gotta say I wouldn't leave a sanded aluminum mast to fend for itself anywhere near salt water. I think you're going to need to sand it down, prime it with a 2-part yellow zinc primer, and paint it. As long as you've already got the mast down it isn't all that difficult a job.