mast steps

Bobg

Member I
While in Florida last week, I noticed a few boats with mast steps, was wondering if anyone installed them on their Ericsons, I have E29 and will have to go up the mast this spring. Thanks for the input Bobg

Seth

Sustaining Partner
They are available from several "off the shelf" suppliers.
Remember though, they carry a price in terms of performance. You are adding wieght aloft and windage accross the entire surface of the rig. Unless you are a "regular visitor" to the top of your mast, I would think twice. For the few times most of us go aloft it is a big price to pay. I would prefer one of those slings the singlehanders use...
Climb safe,
S

mufflaw

Island Boy
My 27' came with mast steps when I bought it back in Aug. '03.
Haven't used them yet. Also my jib halyard gets wraped around them, when hoisting I have to strech a couple of bungie cords from the steps to the rigging to avoid this prolem. However I still hesitant to take them down, cause as soon as i do i'll need them.
Hope this helps.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Mast steps are a real convenience, but most folks don't realize that they still will want a harness or bosun's chair when they get up there.

Why don't you check out the article I wrote a few years ago for Good Old Boat (http://www.boatus.com/goodoldboat/upthemast.htm) on various techniques for going aloft. There are lots of choices that don't require the added weight and windage of mast steps.

Mindscape

Member III
Mast Step Noise

We have a couple of boats in the marina with them and they are sure handy for going aloft. When the wind is just right they can make some noise.

Nigel Barron

Notorious Iconoclast
However, based on the number of times you actually go up the mast, and the trade off with performance that adding mast steps will create, you have to wonder if it would just not be easier to buy a friend a half rack of beer and have them hoist you up the mast. Just my 2 cents.

Nigel Barron
E27 Green Card
Seattle, WA

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
I Got Steps

I have steps on an E26 (1967 vintage). Steps came with the boat when I bought her. I use them all the time. Probably climb up about 3 or 4 times a year. I sometimes climb up just to look around the marina. It is pretty scary when I climb all the way to the top. I weigh just a tad over 200lbs and as I get higher I begin to think about the phisics of all that weight high on the mast. I usually tie real tight to the dock on all four corners of her slip before I climb just to keep the swinging to a minimum.

As a side note the halyards are always getting tangled in them. I need to pay close attention to them as I raise sails.

Attachments

• steps on the mast.jpg
    steps on the mast.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 183
Last edited: