mast stepping help

Buster

I have an Ericson 23with a tabernacled mast. The Harbor in Santa Cruz CA. requires that I step the mast in order to make it under the bridge. My current rigging setup requires basically disassembling the shrouds and back stay. My question is: Can anyone suggest, describe, or refer me to what type of connectors/fasteners to use to quickly untension then re-tension the stay and shrouds? (did that make sense?)

Thanks!

Dave Rummens

Buster,

Being a tabernacler from way back (10yrs on my Olson 25, and 4yrs on my E-35-2), I could show you how my rig is set up. I too am located in Santa Cruz in the upper harbor (X-dock).

Contact me and I'd be happy to meet and take a look at your setup and show you how its done on the Ericson.

The quick answer is - yes there are hardware solutions. The backstay and lower aft shrouds (if you have them) use quick disconnect hardware but the main shrouds can be dealt with so you don't have to disconnect them (if that is what you are experiencing now).

Dave

Buster

That would be great Dave. Id appreciate the help and it would be good to meet a fellow boater in SC. Maybe you could give me your phone # and we could set something up?

Thanx.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Buster,

I had an E23 Mk1. It is berthed in w-7 in the upper harbor (Santa Cruz). I'm sure it would be OK for you to go look at it. Do you have fore and aft lowers on your rig? The Mk1 has only one set of lower shrouds and the chain plate location is close enough to the mast base level that you do not need an elevated hinge point on the lower shrouds. If you have a split back stay you should be able to install a quick release at the top of the split. That quick release is then attached to a bail on the end of the boom and the mast is lowered using the (long!) mainsheet. It's an easy operation, I did it by myself all the time.

Here is a photo of the release lever at the top of the split in the back stay.

Attachments

• release lever.jpg
    release lever.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 60