Mast step repair E27

Hawaii Sailor

E27, Kaneohe, Hawaii
I'm considering repairing my mast step. The compression post is in ok condition and the area around the mast step sounds solid when tapped. It's not very noticeable , but there is a slight sag where the mast step is. I've heard different answers from shipwrights and the cause is most likely from 50 years of compression (boat is 1974). It may not necessarily be rotting at all. I am more than willing to eventually repair this and have a few questions.

Is it necessary to haul the boat out? I am concerned of doing it in the water because I want the new mast step to be aligned correctly.

What is the most simple way to fix this? Could I grind down the mast step (just the 6"x8" area directly under the mast step base) and build it up with biaxial fiberglass cloth?
I'm also consider using g10, however I am weary of setting the g10 in the water, keeping it level with the mast, and fitting it on my cambered deck.

If the mast step sag is minor, can I just leave it alone and sail?

I have looked into this thread: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/seeking-advice-on-e32-mast-step-repair.13256/
However I am looking for a more simple repair, because the extent of the sag and compression is not as severe.

Here are a few options I am considering:

Option 1: grind down mast step to reach core. Fill it up with biaxial cloth, followed by g10.
Option 2: Grind down mast step to core. Fill it up with biaxial cloth, followed by an aluminum halyard organizer plate
Option 3: Leave it alone

tempImageOjmZAr.jpg

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Option 3. How much compression is there? If it’s small say 1/8-3/16 inches it’s probably just due to the plywood core compressing over time. I might worry about it if the cracks were bigger, or grow noticeably bigger over the next year or two. If it’s dry it shouldn’t be a problem but sometimes the mast wiring running through the step can cause moisture to get into the core.

I was overly worried about this problem on my newer boat and it turned into a waste of time.

Hawaii Sailor

E27, Kaneohe, Hawaii
Option 3. How much compression is there? If it’s small say 1/8-3/16 inches it’s probably just due to the plywood core compressing over time. I might worry about it if the cracks were bigger, or grow noticeably bigger over the next year or two. If it’s dry it shouldn’t be a problem but sometimes the mast wiring running through the step can cause moisture to get into the core.

I was overly worried about this problem on my newer boat and it turned into a waste of time.
Thanks. I haven't measured the compression, but its probably within the range of 1/8-3/16 inches. The cracks are mainly on the surface of the old gelcoat. I'm definitely leaning towards leaving it and watching it. I also may ask a rigger's professional opinion as I am looking to replace my standing rigging.