mast+rig weight?

e32stx

Member II
Hi all.Anyone know the weight of an e32-2 tall rigs weight? Trying to figure out if I can take her down w/a rented manlift. CheersOliver

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There might be some helpful info in the other Related Threads listed below this one.
Our double-spreader rig is probably taller, but I would estimate that with all standing rigging, spreaders, and halyards, it all weighs about 150# to 200#.
That's not measured, but based purely on how extremely difficult it was for Kathy and I to lift the whole thing up off of two supports and turn it over for the crane to pick it. This was in '94, and the memory lingers............
:0

Loren

e32stx

Member II
Thanks L. My boat has dbl spreaders as well. Sitting here texting while watch "jaws" deliver last rights boats being demolished here at Herington Harbor North. Wild sight...

e32stx

Member II
Wow

JAWS. t HHN for everyone wanting to know to do get rid of a boat :)

Attachments

• JAWS.jpg
    JAWS.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 365

e32stx

Member II
got it!!!

Took long enough but after building a monster A-frame and hoisting it on deck.... Shecame down sweet as u please. Should have gotten someone to video tape it:)CheersOJPS- The only help I had was from my 120 lbs girlfriend walking the base forward!!! Awesome girl!

Fparry

Member II
I have a 1988 32-200 and with it I received every piece of paper ever generated in it's lifetime pertaining to everything on this boat. My boat came equipped with a Kenyon Spars 4265 mast which is listed in the paperwork as weighing 3.7 lbs. per linear foot. The mast length above deck is listed to be 40' 9" and below deck is 6' 3 3/4" for a total length of 47' 3/4". This calculates to be pretty close to 174 lbs. add to this the weight of the 4 spreaders and the stainless steel shrouding (about 40 lbs) and fittings and I would guess your over 200.

Hope this helps.

Fparry

Member II
I would be very interested in a detailed description of how you accomplished this feat. My local marina has convinced everyone there that the mast must be stepped when hauling the boat for winter storage. Their claim has to do with the dangers associated with storing a boat either on jacks or a cradle in the presence of high winds in the winter. Personally I think it has more to do with the fact that they don't have a travel lift which will accommodate a sailboat with it's mast in place. It is interesting to note that there are other marinas i am familiar with on the Great Lakes which store boats with their masts unstepped and experience no problems what so ever. At any rate, this is where I keep the boat so the mast must come down one way or another. They charge by the foot to step it in the fall and again to re-fit it in the spring. At nearly $150. a pop I would like to investigate the possibility of accomplishing this task myself and saving the $300. for other much needed sailing stuff (like booze). My first question would be how many hands on deck were required?

Grizz

Grizz
Rig weight and Stepping Mandate

Seth picked the # we use as the estimated maximum weight for our O-34 rig, which is probably on the heavy end since we pull all the halyards and run messengers prior to pulling up 'neath the crane @ ColYC. Except for being a bit unweildy, the procedure is not that big of of a deal, now that' we've done it a few times. 27 minutes from tie-up to push-off last fall to un-step (personal best!). Stepping takes a bit longer, historically, as aiming the mast through the hole in the cabin top and seating it on the base plate requires more TLC than yanking it out the top.

As to the premise of 'You Gotta Unstep blah, blah blah...', I submit these Google Earth views of Crowley's Yacht Yard and Hammond Marina, both located on the south side of Chicago. Crowley's is not more than 1 mile (using either mile measurement!) from Lake Michigan. Yes, it can get a bit windy, from every compass point. (knock on wood) Thus far, no domino effects at this yard, but these boats are predominantly stored on cradles and not supported via jack-stands.

GoogleEarth_Image (3).jpg

Further south, approximately 4+ miles SSE, at the Hammond Marina in Indiana, 100% of thos boats are stored outside, mast up, on jack stands. And this location is less than 100 feet from Lake Michigan. Also no domino effect; also windy. A crew comes from Marblehead MA each spring and fall, hauling a big trailer, and picks, pulls and floats all the boats in 1 day before the head off to their next marina to do the same.

Hammond Marina.jpg

Everyone approaches things differently , from a different point of view. This mast up POV is common in this neck of the woods.

e32stx

Member II
For the most part I did it on my own. I built the A-frame myself and hauled it up on a haliard. Then I straped it to the deck. My girlfriend did help at the end by walking the foot of the mast forward as I lowered it.I got the idea/plans from the Catalina 27 site the only thing I did differently was use heavyer lumber and larger pulley.I'll post it in a min.As to ur yard making u drop the stick... Total BS. As long as the travel lift has one open end they can pick it up stern 1st and for huge boats (tonnage allowing) just pop the the back stay, move the the boat then make fast again.CheersOliver