mast rewiring

Do-lang

Reworking 34T. Would like to rewire mast which has not been on the boat in 5 years. Any suggestions on how best to install the new wiring and where to purchase wire economically?

Do-lang

Nomadbel

Reworking 34T. Would like to rewire mast which has not been on the boat in 5 years. Any suggestions on how best to install the new wiring and where to purchase wire economically?

Do-lang

I'm a new member too but been reading the thread since January. Go to www.Riggingonly.com
Mailed our old ones and ordered new wiring from them. De-mast our boat, checked all the plates, revits etc.. and a right time to re- bedding all the plates. Make sure you take pictures of the rigging while it is still hook on the boat or put small masking tape in each wiring write where the wire belongs too( e.g. if it is for back stay or upper stay or intermediate stay) It was a big helped for us during the Senior moment's event. Good Luck!

Nomadbel

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Do-lang~

Do you want to rewire the electrical wires within the mast or do you want to replace all the standing rigging on the boat?

jmcpeak

Junior Viking
I just did mine this spring. Got Ancor wire from defender.com on sale. Still have a 25' roll of 2 wire 16 gauge left if you want it.

PO installed a PVC pipe running the length of the mast, with exist holes drilled wherever needed. Use existing wire to pull new wire or fish tape it if wire is broken.

Rhynie

Member III
Do-Lang,
I'm a fairly new owner of a 34-T, had her since about November of last year. She is in pretty fair shape structurally, some cosmetic issues. There are not too many of the 34-T's around, but I am really enjoying mine so far, and have run across one other owner on here. We need to stay in touch to compare notes.

Heading out to a Sailstice raftup in just a little bit, but hot in the 90's.

stuartm80127

Member II
Economical wire

Do-lang

I highly recommend Greg (see below) for wiring. He Sells high quality Almo Marine grade Wire. I replaced every single wire on-board with his wire except for my mast where I used Ancor 5/14 wire for my lighting on the mast(anchor/tri/steaming and deck). http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Gregs-Marine-Wire-Supply__W0QQ_armrsZ1QQ_fsubZ155507919

Defender or Peter Kennedy Yachts are also great sources for Ancor wire. Sorry, but West Marine makes off like bandits in this department. I went to Allied Electronics (get their catalog) for a good waterproof connection.

Also, I too can attest to the fine job of riggingonly.com. They provided all of my standing rigging and my new lifelines look like artwork. Great people and an economical alternative to West Marine.

jkenan

Member III
Use heatshrink connectors, which will keep moisture out of the wire strands. Even though you are most likely using tinned wire, it is just good practice to seal your connections, especially in mast wiring which will be more exposed to the elements.

Waytek wire has phenomenal pricing on connectors, terminal blocks, etc. Great pricing on wire, but minimum qty is 500-feet. Their heat-shrink ring connectors are tinned copper with cross-linked polyolefin heat shrink - same exact specs as Ancor connectors for a fraction of the cost. Terminal blocks are tin plated brass with zinc plated steel screws (Didn't like the screws so much, but after calling Blue Sea's tech support and asking what they use, they said they use the exact same thing! Go figure.) Check out Mainesail's blog for what to use, and what NOT to use with electrical connections - including crimping tools.

Wayteks website is www.waytekwire.com

Good luck.