Mast replacement for '72 E32

duncanexpress

I am the new owner of a 1972 Ericson 32 (not sure if it's a E32-1, or E32-2, etc. would appreciate help understanding the differences) with a broken mast. I am currently looking around for a replacement mast. I have all the mast hardware, including boom, and I'm wondering what my options are. I have a few opportunities to purchase used masts off of other boats, however I'm not sure what it would take to make it work. Is it possible to cut off a keel-stepped mast and step it on the deck? I belive I need a mast 42' tall? What masts will work for the E32?

Thank you!
Duncan

Seth

Sustaining Partner
rigatoni

You have many options...
If you really want to keep all of your hardware, you may want to get a tube from LeFiell Spars and install your gear.

The better way to go is to start fresh, as there is usually false economy in mixing and macthing parts-plus you get all modern gear that works SO MUCH BETTER than the old stuff.

Kenyon, Charleston Spars, and Forespar are all good choices for replacement rigs, but I recently did a project on an Ericson 34 with Ballenger Spars in the Santa Cruz area that was by far the best price and delivery-not to mention it was one of the nicest looking and best put together rigs I have seen in a long time.

More on that in a minute. It is cerainly possible to convert to a deck stepped set up-it just takes some engineering-Any good spar builder can help with this.

In terms of what rig you have, if you don't know the height of your mast above deck (I can tell you if I have that info), I can also figure it out with any of the following:L

headstay length

P dimension: from the bottom of the black band on the top of the mast to the top of the lower black band (if installed), or from the bottom of the top black band to the top side of the boom, or the luff length of your mainsail

Sail track-if you have an external track on the back of your old mast (and you should if it is original), give me the length. It will not be the real P, but it will tell me which rig you have.

Please contact me directly for help with the rig (if you need it), and I can help you with Ballenger if you would like my help on that end of things as well-I have worked with them on several projects over time.

Good luck!
Seth

valentor

Member II
Duncan;

As the owner of the 1978 E34 Seth refers to, I cannot emphasize enough how much better the boat is with it's new Ballenger rig. I no longer need to use winches to hoist sails or adjust the outhaul and vang. To drop the main, I simply release the clutch and the sail comes down on it's own. The boat is lighter, considerably faster, infinitely easier to sail, and looks great.

Quite a bit of engineering work was needed, but Ballenger made it very easy. They resolved all the issues, built the mast, shipped it from Santa Cruz to Chicago, and completed the entire project in about 8 weeks. As Seth mentions the price was far better than any alternatives I considered and the service was truly outstanding.

As an alternative to a new boat, I decided to refit the rig. I couldn't be happier with the result. Some additional features which I added and can highly recommend include:

Harken roller furling
Hall Quickvang
Tides Marine String track
Forespar Carbon pole
Warpspeed halyards
Navtec rod rigging and backstay adjuster
Integrated foredeck light

Good luck with you project.

Steve Valentor

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Rigrite

I would suggest you contact Rigrite as well - if for no other reason to get them to agree to your plan (loading requirements for your boat - how it compares to the original plan, etc).

//se

duncanexpress

Thanks for the replies. The HIN is ERY 3221M 73F. So, I guess it is actually a 73? Does anyone know what brand of mast this Ericson would have originally had?
To clarify my earlier question, I meant to ask; is it possible to cut off a keel stepped mast, and use it on a deck-stepped boat (like my Ericson)?

How much would a Ballenger mast go for? Any problem with using my old boom?

Thanks again!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
mast info and such....

About cutting off the old mast and re-using it -- short answer is "no way." A deck-stepped spar is heavier-walled, AFAIK. Then there would be the problem of both support under the cabintop, a suitable base, and the engineering of the loads generated clear across the boat.
:rolleyes:

As to Ballenger Spars, I have heard other strong reccomendations for their product -- you neet to contact them and get some first-hand information, at
http://www.ballengerspars.com/cgi-bin/ballenger/index.cfm

Best,

Loren in PDX

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
duncanexpress said:
Thanks for the replies. The HIN is ERY 3221M 73F. So, I guess it is actually a 73? Does anyone know what brand of mast this Ericson would have originally had?
To clarify my earlier question, I meant to ask; is it possible to cut off a keel stepped mast, and use it on a deck-stepped boat (like my Ericson)?

How much would a Ballenger mast go for? Any problem with using my old boom?

Thanks again!

I believe that Ericson used Kenyon spars and Navtec rigging (at least that's what I've seen the most of - and if you look in the owners manuals, you'll see it there as well). Rigrite has the specs from Ericson, and will (I'm sure) be happy to spit out lots of info for you - gratis.

//sse

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Rigs

Couple of things:

1). Hey Steve V.!
2). Loren, regarding cutting the old rig-you are right that it is not common, but it IS do-able-provided: The lower portion is reinforced with a sleeve or other method of increasing wall thickness, and the new mast step and support structure are properly engineered. I have been involved in several of these conversion on 32's and 35's so I know it is technically feasible. The real question is whether it is necessary. Conventional wisdom says deck steppoed rigs are not quite as suitable for offshore work (for obvious reasons), ut if you mostly day sail or coastal cruise, it should be fine. It is expensive, though, so the decision should be well thought out.
3). Back in that era (73ish), Ericson had 3 rig suppliers: LeFiell, Sparcraft, and some rigs built in-house-mostly with LeFiell sections. Ericson had a surprisingly good mast shop. Kenyon did not get the business until much later in the game. If you could sketch out the section I could probably identify it for you. That does not have any bearing if you choose a new rig, though-you can start fresh if you go that route.

4). Regarding Rig Rite-I think they are simply a database service (someone correct me if I am wrong), and as long as there is no charge go ahead and check. I have the same list, though, and have no reason to charge for the info if anyone needs it..

Good sailing!
S

duncanexpress

Thanks again for all the replies. I think I'm still being misunderstood, however, regarding my question of cutting a mast. My '73 E 32 is currently deck stepped. The mast is broken. I am looking for a new mast. Here is the question: can I take a mast from another boat that was keel-stepped, and cut the bottom off of it, and step it on the deck of my E 32 where the old mast was? This is what I'm wondering, is there anything wrong with cutting the bottom off of a keel-stepped mast and stepping it on the deck of a boat already set up to take a deck-stepped mast?
What would be a good price for a used mast of this size?

Thanks for the help!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Oops. Sorry for not being more aware of your boat's spar configuration. The advice about a stronger wall section would still apply, if considering shortening a mast designed for keel-stepping, IMO.

Loren

escapade

Inactive Member
rigs,or things that go crash on the deck

Rig-Rite has spar tubes, spreaders, rigging parts, etc. for several different makes of spars. Not affraid to charge for them, but if they have what you need it's worth it. Rigging Only is another good resource on the East Coast for questions & rigging parts. Their prices are competive, also. I have worked with both and feel that they are knowledgeable.
Depending on how much damage there is to the old tube (mast section), you might be able to splice a new section in place. The folks @ the aforementioned places can advise you on that.
Seth is again correct in saying that you can convert a keel stepped to a deck step but you will need to reinforce the base of the tube. Also new standing rigging would be in order (you don't want it falling down again, do you?) and a VERY close inspection of the chain plate anchoring points in the hull & compression post under the mast.
I have done a rerig on Escapade, includeing adding 3 1/2' to the spar, new standing rigging, hydralic backstay, etc. I asked a LOT of questions before I started and would not recommend doing it yourself unless you are very comfortable with you mechanical abilities. Not a project for the weak of heart!
I hope this helps you.
Have fun & sail fast.
Bud E34 "Escapade"

Seth

Sustaining Partner
masts

I, too, apologize for not reading your message clearly enough and for having misunderstood your point.

I still think it is possible to find a keel stepped rig, cut it down to size and use it-PROVIDED it is properly reinforced, But I also still feel it may not be feasible-there will be expenses,and even more, this rig would need a VERY thorough inspection-everywhere! There are many other areas to be worried about-spreader attachments, shroud tangs, etc,. So while it may be possible, it may not be practical-unless you get very lucky with the perfect rig.

A rig is something you want to have confidence in, and by the time you get done playing with the cut down, you may be close in cost and hassle to a new one-so, be careful, be safe, and Happy New Year!

S

valentor

Member II
Duncan;

All of the advice posted here seems appropriate, but nobody addressed your question about cost.

Regarding a new mast, you should contact any of the mast manufacturers listed and talk with them. When I was shopping for my new mast last year, I found all of them VERY helpful. There is a lot of real engineering involved, and you will have many options which will effect the cost considerably. Options will include running and standing rigging, wiring, lighting, number of mast exits, type of hardware, tracks, cars, blocks, toggles, and other little things. Then there are upgrades to consider: an updated boom with internal outhaul and reefing, headsail furlers, vangs, etc. Another factor to consider is that if the mast manufacturer is not local, it may be difficult to buy directly from them. I involved my yard from the beginning. It added cost, but they added a lot of value. I also got a lot of help from Seth (my sailmaker).

For a boat like yours (and mine), the cost for a new spar can range from a few thousand for the basics to many teens of thousands for a complete system.

Also, you must consider all of the issues mentioned with a used spar - as well as the condition of the spar. If you need to replace all the hardware and rigging, the cost of the finished tube section is almost inconsequential. I would expect you could buy a used spar for hundreds of dollars, but don't underestimate the engineering effort and manual labor required to adapt it. Some of the critical issues involve the angles that the spreaders make relative to the mast and the shrouds and the locations of the chainplates.

Replacing my mast and rigging was not an easy process - it required excellent work done by Ballanger Spars, my Yacht Yard in Chicago (Crowley's), help form my sailmaker, and many, many hours of my own effort. My expense was toward the higher end of the above cost spectrum, but I got an excellent result.

Good luck with your project.

Regards;

Steve

JORGE

Member III
for sources you might try

www.goodoldboat.com has a list of parts and goods, services, try... "goods"

check "resources" for a list of metal mast sources, fabricators, etc.. and whatever else.