Mast lights not working, 1989 E34

hiflight

I recently discovered no lights working on the mast. A rigger went up to change all 3 bulbs (to LED), and still no lights. The anchor light fixture at the masthead was corroded, so that unit was replaced. Still no lights.
We determined that the circuit terminal board, located in the headliner (port side of mast) was showing power. On a whim, we decided to try rapidly actuating the breaker switches of each light on the electrical panel. This produced a brief flickering of each light when tried. Based on that I think the wiring is OK. Can it be that this wiring will not accept the LED without some other modification? The running lights at deck level are all operating normally (not LED). Thanks for any thoughts on this.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Some 2-pole LEDs have polarity - they only work when installed in one of the two possible orientations

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You have a 1989 Ericson 34, profile says. It helps if you put that in the signature line since model and year count for most issues and then people won;t have to look it up.

I'd go up the mast and fiddle with the steaming light for starters. Theory is pretty useless with this stuff and salt could be the problem, or a loose wire, or subtle corrosion. If you want to get logical about it take a multimeter up. Wires don;t usually break, it's probably a connection, and I would test that circuit breaker first--bad circuit breaker might explain the momentary excitation.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Did anyone think to disconnect and power up the mast wires at the terminal board under the headliner? I use a fused ac 12v power source for trouble shooting. Had a mast head light test good on the ground and when the mast was stepped the light would not work. I checked the terminal board and found a loose connection.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What Al said....
and.....Our boat has a very standard sort of terminal strip mounted against the underside of the cabin top, about a foot or so from the spar penetration.
Ours is accessible via a nearby zipper. check on those connections and also take a close look at the wiring were it emerges from a hole in the spar, above the headliner. You might have to temporarily drop the teak trim piece around the spar, take out several screws holding the headliner against the plywood piece around the mast penetration. The zipper on each side may need a good shot of "MacLube" to work properly.

wynkoop

Member III
I have found that in my cabin the 12 volt lights were wired such that I could not use LED without rewiring, but if the incandescent were not working it is probably that the fault is in the wiring someplace.

Check your incandescents since you now have them down on deck. If the bulbs are good start using a VOM to check power each step of the way from the breaker onward.

On Silver Maiden I have had trouble with corroded connections at the base of the mast, which is nasty on her because the connection is INSIDE the mast. I also had bad connections to fixtures and fixtures that were too corroded. The last time the mast was off I changed ALL my fixtures on the mast. It was a very good investment as the old fixtures were very corroded.

My thought is that if you are having problems with ALL the lights on the mast I would look to the ground lead.

hiflight

Thanks to all who replied...... still working on it.... stay tuned.
Actually, at the moment, I have more pressing issues: just discovered a portlight leak, just above the nav table and electrical panel.
With a week of heavy rain forecast in the Houston area, I've got to get a tarp on that for the moment, and find the best way to rebed and reseal that port. I'm about to research the best way to rebed that.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Gorilla Tape works well for temporarily permanent moisture exclusion from port lights and assorted other leaky spots.

SpudE36RH

Member I
same issue with mast lights (3). I have purchased/replacing a terminal block and plan to renew all connections and trace ground. Thx for posting, assistance greatly appreciated.At least I have solved the massive mast flood leaks.That was bicycle tube, big cable ties and mast tape.

hiflight

Thanks to all who replied. Problem solved now.... mast lights working. I followed the suggestion to use an alternate dc source, bypassing the panel breakers. Still had good 12v at the terminal strip but no lights. Then ran alternate ground connection from terminal strip in the headliner to the mast. Presto! Lights worked. Somehow the original grounding had failed. I added a substitute ground to the mast above the headliner.