Mast leaks 1987 35'

akoehler@charte

I have a 1987 Ericson 35 that is leaking rain water down the mast and coming out at the step. I have re-bed the gooseneck and vang on the mast but still it leaks. I have also carefully sealed the area where the mast passes thru the cabin roof. Has anyone had a similar experience and located the source of the leak and made the repair? Thanks!

u079721

Contributing Partner
Is the water leaking down the outside of the mast? An easy test for that is to dust the surface of the mast with flour and look for water tracks after a rain. If it is on the outside of the mast, then sealing the mast boot is the cure.

But ALL masts leak some water down on the inside from rain, and this can't really be prevented. What you can do is give that internal rain water an easy path to the bilge so that it doesn't pool up on the mast step and ruin the flooring. On our 38 I drilled extra weep holes in the mast plate on the inside to give the internal water a straight path to the bilge, and it worked like a charm. But to do that you have to have the mast out.

Anybody have any suggestions that don't require pulling the stick?

akoehler@charte

Thank you for your comments! The leak is inside the mast and is particularly a problem because in New England we often leave the masts up for winter storage and we can get ice in the bilge. I have drilled a weep hole to let the water out but you still get some ice build up. I would rather find the source and stop it. Your comments are very welcome.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
I think it's just the nature of the mast construction. Ours has cut outs all along the mast for the T-toggles, as well as for runners, that let some water in when it's raining. I think it would be impossible to stop on our boat.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I think it's just the nature of the mast construction. Ours has cut outs all along the mast for the T-toggles, as well as for runners, that let some water in when it's raining. I think it would be impossible to stop on our boat.

Absolutely agree.
Our Kenyon double-spreader rig is keel stepped and probably quite similar to yours.
Every major rain storm (and this is Oregon I am describing...) will deposit about a quart down the inside of the spar.
Pure water delivered fresh to the bilge! :)
I keep a "turkey baster" on board for pulling all the water out of the bilge when I visit every week.

What with the masthead halyard entries, spreader roots and a flock of exit plates lower down, there are lots of places for wind-driven rain to get inside.

Through-stepped spars have other advantages, and we just have to accept the downside of some rain wandering down the inside.

Gotta admit, I have no answer for the buildup of ice in that bilge, though.:esad:

Loren

razehnder

RAZehnder
Mast leak resolution (sort of)

Water leaks down the mast on our E-34. Stopping the water completely is difficult at best. But the prior owner came up with an idea to keep the water out of the bilge for the most part. He tied a length of heavy duty cotton string (+/- 1/8" dia.) around the bottom of the mast with the tail end hanging down into the bilge area. He made a flap out of duct tape and taped it to the mast step just below the mast so that the tail end of the sting hangs down over the flap. He then cut the top off a plastic juice container (any container will work...bigger the better that fits) and set it in the bilge with the flap and string hanging into the container. The rain water tends to travel down the string and drips into the container. The bilge stays completely dry as long as the container is emptied before it overflows into the bilge. It takes a little diligence but the bilge stays dry as long as long as I am able to empty the container in time. Occasionally the container overflows after a lot of rain or when I'm too busy etc. to get to the boat. But I just use a drill pump and tubing to suck the bilge dry. Works slick and fast.

Rich Zehnder
Bellingham, WA
razehnder@hotmail.com

newpbs

Member III
Antifreeze

I usually have my boat stored for the winter with my mast up. Water does get into the bilge from the mast. I add some antifreeze to the bilge to ward off any freeze issues.

Paul

AleksT

Member III
One common path for water getting inside a mast is following the electrical cables. (radar, various lights, mast head wind instruments). Spreader and steaming lights are prime culprits. Check to make sure all the places where wire exits the mast are well caulked. Water will flow down the outside of the mast then follow the wire into the mast and down to the base. Even if these points were caulked it is possible that the caulk has cracked with age

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Water from Mast

The string around the mast base sounds like a good idea......but only where the temp does not drop below freezing....

While I had my boat in Florida I just lived with the water, and since the battery was always on the charger, the bilge pump pulled it out....no problem.

BUT....the boat is now in Illinois, on the hard with the mast up both last winter and this winter....

I drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the cuff about one inch above the bottom of the bilge.......this was done last winter, and in the spring all was well.....even if there were a bit of ice it could not do any damage as it had all the room in the world to expand......in the spring I sealed the hole with a 1/2 inch x 2inch flat head stainless steel bolt......(I had countersunk the hole so the flat head fit flush).....and an "O" ring along with 3M 101 Caulk.......works like a charm....

All of this assumes of course that your boat is stored on the hard for the winter....

Good Luck

Blue Chip

Member III
Thank you for your comments! The leak is inside the mast and is particularly a problem because in New England we often leave the masts up for winter storage and we can get ice in the bilge. I have drilled a weep hole to let the water out but you still get some ice build up. I would rather find the source and stop it. Your comments are very welcome.

I think you have stated the source. It is indeed the (nature) of the mast itself. I really don't think you can "stop it" because there are so many variables and potential sources. this is what masts do. They are not really 'sealed" at the top and down the length of them. IMO you are going to be chasing your tail to keep "looking" for this one. Good luck though, but don't beat yourself up over it. At long as it goes into the bilge..keep the turkey baster handy.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I completely agree with Blue Chip on this one.

I also don't think I have ever heard of ice in the bilge causing a structural problem. Not even before Al Gore warmed up the earth. :) Some people put antifreeze in the bilge, but I never have and most of the people I know don't. I do pull out the knot meter paddle wheel and open the seawater thru hull so water can't build up to the level of the sole if a scupper should fail or other problems.

My owner's manual does say: "Water may enter the bilge through the mast, so it is important to pour two gallons of antifreeze into the bilge and the separate shower sump". I'm kind of curious how water gets from the mast to the shower sump, but I'll leave that for another day.

Blue Chip

Member III
I'm with you on this Tom...the bilge would have to fill up to about 2 inches from the underside of the sole in order to "back up" into the shower sump pump in our aft located head which is just a few feet from the mast. Man, if the boat has THAT much water in it...people would be calling us at home and screaming into the phone!

lbertran

Member III
Water Runs Down Outside of Mast

I've long had water running down to the mast step on the exterior surface of our mast. Last winter, we unstepped the mast and rebedded the mast collar. We have a sturdy and caulked mast boot. So I've not been able to figure out where this water is coming from.

Emerald

I've long had water running down to the mast step on the exterior surface of our mast. Last winter, we unstepped the mast and rebedded the mast collar. We have a sturdy and caulked mast boot. So I've not been able to figure out where this water is coming from.

Any chance it's heavy condensation?

Flight Risk

Member II
Just on a side note to the old string trick..... A few years ago I was working on a customer's boat and noticed each wire exiting right at the mast step had a small piece of string tied around it and dangling into the bilge. He had a cool whip container under the strings??? Same concept but kept the rain water from wicking along the wires and into their connectors/plugs.

Even with the fairly deep sump on Flight Risk getting a good sized "drip bend" in the coax was difficult, so I installed strings on the cables, works great.

Just never dawned on me to swap out the famous turkey baster with a cool whip container until now......duh....:confused:

Chris
E-34 Flight Risk

akoehler@charte

Thank you all for your thoughts and remarks...I read with interest. One other part of this I should have mentioned is that this is my eleventh year with this boat and my observation is that the leak has gotten worse over the years. The wiring for the mast lights and electronics I have not checked and I think that may be worth looking at carefully. Something in my opinion is not right! By the way my Name is Art!