Mast Help Required

aquavit

Member II
Due to my own stupidity, the mast on my 1990 E28 may be scrap. The mast has suffered a rather brutal trauma, as well as my head. My head will heal, the mast may not. I tried to speak to rig-rite about a replacement but they were difficult to deal with and then told me that the 4066 section was not available. Does anyone know of a shop in Ontario Canada that may be able to get involved and help me solve this problem, or if anyone just happens to have a spare mast kicking around, that would be a good solution as well.

Thanks again.
Glenn (Aquavit)

Chris A.

Member III
Ballenger

I have been pleased with our replacement spar from Ballenger. Here is an old thread about my experience, which began with a similar dead end with Rig Rite.

Mast Replacement

Good luck and glad you weren't more seriously hurt...

bayhoss

Member III
Sorry to hear about your mast and head. Forget about RigRite - PITA. I've delt with Selden and they are all about a customer. Dwyer also has an excellent reputation. I've had the mast on my 28 come down while under way, zero fun.
I have no connection to any of the above mentioned companies.

Hope this ends well,
Frank

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
another vouch for Ballenger They are not cheep but they are good and helpful. They charge enough for there product that they can afford to give away their time to help a guy get it right, and are pleased to do so even if it is not their stuff. And they are not afraid to tell you there is a cheaper/easier way or you don't need something. It all adds up to a good value in the end. Edd

aquavit

Member II
Thanks for the feedback gents. I have found Klacko Spars in Oakville Ontario. I started talking to anyone who was "in the know" around this area and I got the same response from everyone, "Call Klacko Spars". I talked to them and they already knew about my accident, it turns out that someone at the marina had already contacted them for pricing. I am just waiting for an insurance adjuster to inspect things and then we can begin the repairs. It looks like I have lost at least 6 weeks of sailing, but I can always motor.... Does anyone want to see pictures?

Glenn (Aquavit)

aquavit

Member II
Here is the carnage of the mast;

Bent Mast.jpg

And the furler;

Furler.jpg

A drunken looking bow pulpit, including a view of the nice new dodger;

Pulpit.jpg

And the remains of the tri-lite base that was fished out of the water;

tri-lite base.jpg

Glenn

aquavit

Member II
The details of what happened are too stupid for me to divulge publicly. Luckily the only damage was to my boat and my head. Stitches can come out today, YEAH!!!

Glenn

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The details of what happened are too stupid for me to divulge publicly. Luckily the only damage was to my boat and my head. Stitches can come out today, YEAH!!!

Glenn

Dent in mast observed... matching dent in head?
:rolleyes:

Perhaps you should always wear your Viking helmet (with or without the horns) when on your Ericson!

LB

aquavit

Member II
Randy

Mine is even more stupid, and I knew better. The mast went over sideways while I watched it. When it hit the docks, which are about level with the cabin top, the mast base jumped clear of the step. All of the tension in the stays shot the mast towards me and the base of the mast hit me in the head. Nothing like adding injury to insult.

Glenn

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
D'oh!

The guy I bought my Laser from was lowering the mast on his Nacra catamaran with the little hand winch on the trailer and it got away from him. I was standing at the back of the boat and caught it. Luckily it only dropped about 12 feet and the boat was only about 18ft so the mast wasn't too big...

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Glenn,
I'm guessing you are lucky to be alive. A mast is a serious piece of hardware to be directed at your skull, no matter the velocity. It could have been much, much worse. You may be embarassed but consider this: Could anyone learn from your mistake? You state you knew better, but imagine the new boat owner that may be completely clueless, does what you did and it kills him or her? I'd sure like to hear what you did wrong, not to chuckle at your misfortune but to make sure I don't make the same mistake! Glad to hear stitches and a bruised ego was the only damage to you. RT

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Railmakers in Costa Mesa was the builder of that pulpit... By chance I was on their site just tonight and they say they still have them and you can be the proud owner of a new and unbent one! Edd