Mast Height Above Water - E34 MKII

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
E-34 mast height

Based on the rig layout drawing in owner's manual on this site I found the mast height to be 44' 4" above the coach top and that the mast is buried 6' 8" below the coach top. Therefore it is 51' mast. I scaled the drawing and found the mast goes 15" below the water line. Allowing inaccuracies, I am confident the mast is less than 50' above the water, not counting the anchor light, antennas, etc.

BTW, most people don't refer to the '80s vintage E-34 with any suffix. The previous models were E-34T and E-34R.

HughHarv

Hugh
height calc again

Here's another, much simpler method:

"get a small mirror or something reflective and place it on the ground. Subtract 5 inches from your height and stand that far away from the mirror (in other words, if you're 6 feet tall, stand 5 feet 7 inches from the mirror). Move the mirror back from the tree until you can see the top of the tree in the mirror. A little bit of simple geometry will now tell you that the distance from the mirror to the base of the tree will be equal to the height of the tree!"

I think this is basically creating a right triangle with two equal lengths being your final distance from the object and it's height.