Mast Fairing...

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
So in the process of stripping our mast, I came across several sections of body filler... they were at weld points etc...
Am I to assume they are just fairing to make sure the paint looked pretty from the kenyon factory? Just want to make sure I don't need to replace it before I paint. I've learned to ask here before doing dumb things:nerd:
FWIW- the weld and grind job were fantastic after I got through all the filler. I'll be sneezing up boat bondo for a week.
Any advice/thoughts appreciated,
Chris

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Hey Chris, I just completed the same thing on my 35. I also found the great weld job and the filler. I did not replace my filler but I did do some fairing with thickened West System epoxy. What are you using for paint? I have gotten excellent results from Perfection.

Attachments

• PICT0004.jpg
    PICT0004.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
I'm using perfection as well. The boom is done, mast done soon.
Yours turned out great!
Chris

Attachments

• Boom paint sm.jpg
    Boom paint sm.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 95

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Chris yours looks good too. The key is thinning. Adding just the right amount of 2333n will make this paint flow like glass. Adding too much will create runs. I have a pretty good technique for getting the mixture just right. I would be glad to share it with you if you like.

Last edited:

Mike Thomas

Member II
Nice job on both.

I rebuilt my boom 2 winters ago and used thickened West Epoxy to fill holes and fair everything out. Before the rebuild the boom looked like Swiss cheese. There had been hardware moved all around it. Now it's nice and clean. The epoxy is a little tough to sand by hand but if you have a palm sander you'll be fine. The only thing I did special was to ding and counter sink all of the holes that I planned to fill so the epoxy had something to hold on to. I also built up an angled mounting pad for a cam cleat and a line riser for the outhaul with thickened West Epoxy. Once you get used to working with it you'll love it. See attached (the pics didn't do my finish justice but it looks great.
Mike T

Attachments

• dcp_0757.jpg
    dcp_0757.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 69
  • dcp_0756.jpg
    dcp_0756.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 80
  • dcp_0755.jpg
    dcp_0755.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 70
  • dcp_0754.jpg
    dcp_0754.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 83

Captron

Member III
Wow

Great Job! I should do mine. Unfortunately, we're sailing in the Bahamas over the winter and besides, I don't have a barn big enough. Oh well, choices, choices ...

Looks great though, I'm sure the up close and personal look gets excellent reviews, too! Although the photos are pretty.
:hail:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Paint application

Tim & Chris,

Did you spray the "perfection" paint on or did you use a roller? It looks too good for a roller, so maybe I have answered my own question!

Keith

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Hi Keith,
I rolled and tipped (I think Tim did as well...), and it turned out great. You can tell mine was not professionally sprayed in a downdraft room with a controlled environment-- but the quote on that was $10,000.00, and mine looks really good. I figure what it looked like before, and what it looks like now, and I'm really happy.
I spray finishes (some 2 part) pretty often, and I prefered to roll & tip due to the learning curve I feared with spraying. The roll & tip works good. Tim has some great ideas for getting the consistancy right to do it (the glass thing is a great idea). just prime well, and don't get the finish paint too thin:D
I did the boom first (due to weather issues) and it was a great teaching tool.
Chris

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I also rolled and tipped mine. I am very happy with the results and I did not shorten my life too much:egrin: