Mast down....Backstay hangup

skywalker

Member II
Last week the yard took down the mast for my first time with this boat. When we were taking it down we had a heck of a time getting that pin out where the backstay hooks into the hydraulic adjuster. All the shrouds were loose and the roller furling came off easily enough. I had the adjuster pressure completely backed off but there was still enough tension on there that we were afraid of damaging something if we forced that pin out. What we ended up doing was using the crane to put some rearward pressure on the mast to ease the tension on that backstay. It was still difficult but it did come out. I don't think that this is way it should be done but it had to come out. Now I'm thinking how difficult this is going to be when it comes time to hook it back up again in the spring. Is it suppopsed to be that tight? Has anyone else had this problem or did we miss something?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It has been a few years since we had our spar down for a re-rig, but I do recall that getting the backstay slack enough to easily pull the pin from the fork on the hyd. adjuster was difficult.
When spec-ing out the new rig we went with a turnbuckle mounted above the hyd. adjuster, at the advice of the rigger.

That way it is normally at full extension and with a few last turns to loosen it the BS can be removed easier... and...
if the hydraulic adjuster ever fails to hold we can let it stay slack and just take up all the threads on the turnbuckle to get enough tension for sailing.

LB

Last edited:

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Hyd Back Stay Adjuster

AMEN Loren;\:

Only difference on mine is that I keep the backstay turnbuckle tight enough at all times so that there really is enough tension to sail with in case of hyd failure...

My .02 worth

u079721

Contributing Partner
Well it certainly isn't desirable, and maybe ain't normal, but it is not that uncommon.

On our boat we also could not get the backstay clevis pin out easily when dropping the rig. Our standard method was to run a dock line between both rear cleats, and haul on the bight of that line with the main halyard to bend the mast enough to release the tension on the backstay and get the clevis pin out. It really isn't that hard to do, and only takes a minute to rig, but it does take some coordination to avoid having that expensive clevis pin fall out (don't ask....).

skywalker

Member II
Thanks everyone. The great thing about these forums and sites is that its nice to know your not alone with some of these issues like this. Also 2 or more heads are better than one. People come up with some stuff you wouldn't think of on your own.

I like the idea of the turnbuckle on the hyd adjuster in case of hydraulic failure......redundancy is a good thing when you are out alone bobbing around somewhere.