Mast Boot

EGregerson

Member III
I replaced the mast boot on my 87 E34 2 years ago; didn't realize it at the time as the mast was out, but it didn't fit over the rim properly (altho it fit the mast fine); it's been a pain so this year i decided to get the right one from rig rite. they sent me the same thing... for a 4873 Kenyon mast . Got off the phone today after sending them pics; they said that as mine is a stainless mast collar, Kenyon only made aluminum collars, so i need to find out who made this one. I attached a photo; anyone recognize the work?

Attachments

• Mast Boot 1a.JPG
    Mast Boot 1a.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,498

EGregerson

Member III
ssi

thanks tim; that's an ssi i have on there; and ssi was the original (correct) one. they're just across the river in MD. Guess i'll have to pay them a visit.

Russell Skinner

My rigger recommends an adhesive rudder sheet, used in roofing, called "Ice and Water Sheild". It stopped my leaks, but needs to be protected frome UV rays. A simple and cheap solution to an old and difficult problem.

e38 owner

Member III
inner tube mast boot

Nigel Calder's book about boat maintenance and repair has a Mastboot made from an old truck inner tube.

I made one about 6 years ago as per the instructions and covered it with a canvas wrap. I added a little silicone in the sail track above and below the vang attatchment.

It has been the best mast boot I have ever had. It works very well.
The tire store gave me the old inner tube for free although I had to wait a few days until they could find one

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
My rigger recommends an adhesive rudder sheet, used in roofing, called "Ice and Water Sheild". It stopped my leaks, but needs to be protected frome UV rays. A simple and cheap solution to an old and difficult problem.

I'm a roofer not a rigger and no way, no how would I put Ice&Water on my boat! It works a little too well. Once that stuff goes on and sits for a while it won't come off. Not without lots of scraping and cussing. I can't get it off plywood so I can't see how its gonna come off the mast and collar.

RT