Mast Boot 35-3

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
North Sails Oregon (and aka North Canvas)
http://nwcanvas.com/
just made one for me this week.
Sunbrella with contrasting trim and a lacing system that seems to tighten it up very well and a lashing for the top and base.
This is an overdue effort to protect what's left of the original molded vinyl Kenyon base cover that is cracking from UV.
$75. -- not cheap, but the workmanship appears to be excellent. They did visit the boat to measure the spar and the base diameter and to find the height limitations (track in front and vang attachment in back.

I have looked around for a replacement vinyl boot but understand that no one makes one.

The same local company previously built our "anchor sail" shown in reply #18 in this thread:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=2580&referrerid=28

Loren

Last edited:

MMLOGAN

Member III
Mast Boot

Loren,

Thank you for the quick response. You nailed it, UV has left the original quite the mess. I will look at the Link.

Cheers,

Matt

ref_123

Member III
Diy?

Hey, it's probably worth $15 in Sunbrella, $5 in cordage and 30 minutes of sewing... OK, probably 30 more minutes in measuring and designing... So, it's definitely a candidate for DIY.

Regards,
Stan

Frank G

Member II
When I had my boat moved from Florida to Knoxville I bought a mast boot at the west marine store in Punta Gorda. It fit really well when I restepped the mast. Of course I forgot to re-thread the inner teak ring on the mast when I restepped it. Not I have to cut it in half. don't i feel like a dumbass.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Teak trim and Boots

Frank, the inner teak trim ring for our mast was broken when we took delivery in '94. Either the p.o. broke it or the yard that unstepped the spar did it. I was so overwhelmed with owning a big boat that I did not even notice for quite a while! :rolleyes:
Anyhow, I epoxied the two pieces back together and then split it into two equal halves. Then I put some guide pins in, one per side so it would still line up flat when screwed back up against the headliner.

Back to the mast boot. Here are some pics I took today of our new one. There is about 2" of overlap where the pieces join.

Sidebar: Remember that the only purpose of this pretty cover is to protect the old ( or new) vinyl boot from UV, and so it's purpose is not to keep water out of the boat interior. The whole idea is a two-stage type of protection. First: from sunlight, and secondly (within) to stop the water from penetrating. The offshore racers that I know use a combo of self-amalgamating tape, sealant, and even duct tape (!) for that vital water-stopping inner layer and then let the Sunbrella cover protect the whole mess and make it all look good! :rolleyes:

Regards,
Loren

Attachments

• NewBootFrontView.jpg
    NewBootFrontView.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 92
  • newMastBootPortSide.jpg
    newMastBootPortSide.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited: