Masst Frustration

tooblaaave

Member I
Hi everyone, I have an Ericson 27, 1978. I am in the process of buying a new Main Sail. I am confused about Deminsions. I did a rough measurement on my Luff, ( tied a line to the head of the sail marked the top hoisted and marked the line @ the track. I got 29 ft 5inches. In looking at the sail measuremensts this looks like a tall rig. My slugs are 1 and 1/8 inches long and 3/8 inch diameter. What I want to know is can I put a standard Ericson size Sail on, or better, does any one in the seattle area( I live in Gig harbor) know of a Sail person I can contact for info. If this is confusing sounding it is because I am confused. obviously I have a ton to learn. Nic:

Last edited:

dc27

have boat, need time
i went through the same miasma of confusion and indecision when i was measuring for a new main on my 27. fortunately, it's a passing condition!

my advice would be to not worry about whether or not it's a "tall rig" -- a term that implies but ultimately lacks precision -- and just measure! not to predispose you to FX Sails, but like other sailmakers, they have this

downloadable form

that explains what to measure and how to do it. after you have accurate numbers, you can look around to see if there's an "off the shelf" sail that suits the needs of your particular boat, or whether to have one custom made.

(i wound up working with Doyle, and they were very patient and helpful as they talked me through the measuring process; i'm sure whatever loft you choose will be likewise.)

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
These are the specs on my 1973 Standard Rig E-27

MAIN Full Batten Main 6.5m Dacron

Cross Cut
Luff 28.00
Leech 29.50
Foot 10.00

FURLING Head Sail GENOA 140% 6.5m Dacron

Cross Cut
Luff 31.50
Leech 29.75
Foot 17.50
LP 15.20

I am sure you can put a standard main on but it won't go to the top of a tall rig. Not sure what tall rig specs are.

tooblaaave

Member I
Thanx you guys, I am calming down abit, going out tommorrow and measure with A guide supplied by dc27, and some other instructions I found. Since I am not a rich boater like many others here I need to find a good sail at a good price. Have some Ideas. Thanx to all and this sight save my behind. peace to all Nic

:egrin:

TRMN8R

Member II
Tall is 38.2, std is 36.3.............I have the std. BTW, great info on this board look into info exchange below, click on owners manual, has all the sail, etc info there. I downloaded everything e27, printed it out, and keep it aboard. This is a great forum! Hope this helps!

Rhynie

Member III
Take a look on E-bay, there are usually quite a few sails listed (sometimes new). mains are harder to match up than headsails, but you may hit it lucky. Also, 'Minney's' lists used sails, Google it.

Brian

steven

Sustaining Member
When I was in the market for a new jib, made a paper-and-scotch-tape sail and hoisted on a calm day (remember to tie a retrieval line to the halyard - so if the paper rips, you can get the halyard down). Figured out what variations in dimensions would work.

Found pre-owned sail at Second Wind in Ft. Lauderdale. Almost new. Cheap. Good fit (some minor compromises - for example I wanted a deck sweeper but couldn't find one with the right dimensions). If you go for used, you need patience or luck. Took me about a year to find what I wanted.

--Steve