Marina Wireless Access

Joe

Member II
I was stuck in a marina this past week with very weak internet access from a laptop that waxed and waned and made the whole process very frustrating. A phone call to the local wireless provider suggested:
a) an Engenius USB WiFi EUB-362 EXT (a little black box about 2x2x.5) with
b) a 2.4GHz 9dbi Rubber Duck RP-SMA Antenna that plugs into the above.

Both cost about $65 from wlanparts.com and was shipped next day air.

What a difference! Suddenly we had dozens of alternative signals at very high speed.

Steve

Member III
Frustrating - yes, but workable

Had the same issue this year with our marina's system. Due in part that we have a high free-board Mainship trawler sitting in the next slip and blocks the marina's antenna a mere 380 feet away from us. In the cabin our signal strength was 5-10% at 1 mbps, or essentially crap.

Our solution, -bypass the laptop's internal wi-fi and go with a cheap Netgear USB wi-fi adapter stick, but rather then just plug into the laptop we used a 20 foot plus 6 foot usb cable extension to place the adapter outside and high. So, when we boot up, up goes the hatch, the adapter gets a short ride on the flag halyard and now we are at 95% 54 mbps.

I would like something permanent but haven't decided on the system, but this temporary solution seems to work well, so until I get sick of it... I may dip the adapter in liquid electrical tape to give it that all-weather look...!

Steve

Bolo

Contributing Partner
MAC too?!

Joe,

The Engenius USB WiFi EUB-362 EXT looks like it might also work for my internet connection at our marina but I'm a MAC user. Do you know if the device will work on Macs?:confused:

Joe

Member II
Bob:
Unfortunately, I don't think it will work on a Mac as the drivers that come in the package are restricted to Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP. However, the tech support at Engenius was great and they may very well have a different answer, or could perhaps steer you in the right direction:
Toll Free: 888.735.7888
Tel: 714.432.8668
www.engeniustech.com