Manual bilge pump hose

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I want to replace the output hose on my manual bilge pump to make it a little longer. It looks like some kind of plastic or PVC with a spiral reinforcing wire and PVC cuffs attached to the ends. It looks like this Shields hose listed on the West Marine site, but I don't see the cuffs listed:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...=true&storeNum=11&subdeptNum=145&classNum=146

Defender lists the cuffs, but doesn't seem to have this type of hose. This same type of hose/cuff system is also used on my cockpit drains.

Where can I get the hose and cuffs, and what type of sealant is used to attach the cuffs? Do I even need to continue to use this type of hose system? I like the fact that the hose is pretty flexible. What do people in the know recommend?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I would stay away from that type of hose. I am replacing mine with hose suitable for below WL.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Any recommendation on what I should use? The bilge pump through-hull is above the waterline, but I'll use whatever works best. I'd like something that can make a tight, smooth bend. The cockpit drain through-hulls are below the waterline.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
bilge_title_147.gif

This is suitable for below WL and can be bent fairly tightly. It also does not require cuffs.