Making/Installing Swim Platform on a '32?

brett.kessler

I'm the new owner/sailer of a fantastic 1976 '32 in great shape...we are Lake Ontario bound! After several trips that involve swimming, with kids, I'd like to try a swim platform that is big enough to stand on but not so big it's in the way or interefers with performance underway. Has anyone built/installed such a thing? Any ideas?

Brett
Chaumont, NY

Michael Edwards

Member II
With her lovely transom I thought that making one that conforms to the transom's shape and fold up against the stern would work nice. It would be hinged from underneath and swing up to be flush. The platform could be fixed in place by a removable strut when in use. You could still have the name on it.
It would be made from Dynacell or other curvable core.
We have found going over mid-ship provides easier motion and use a wide step. Our '78 E32 also already had reenforcement for adding a stanction gate.

brett.kessler

Swim Platform

Thanks for the ideas. I'm trying to picture the strut you mention, what it might look like and how I might anchor it to the transom, obvioulsy below the swim platform?

tdtrimmer

Member II
Swim Platform

I made one for my E38 that works great. Go to custommarineproducts.com to see it. I made a stainless bracket that hooks over the back stay bracket on the transom. The platform is 3/4 marine plywood and is supported on one side by the stainless bracket and on the other by two low stretch lines; one attached to the cleat and the other to the stern rail. It is easy to remove and store and I didn't have to put any holes in the boat. We have had it for four years now and it is the most useful project I have done to the boat. It has supported two people with no problem.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Tom,
Looks very nice, and I have a question about the attachment.
From the picture it looks like the part that fits over the backstay plate clips on.
http://www.custommarineproducts.com/sailboat-transom-platforms.html
I am wondering if there are some potential storage issues with the step when not deployed for use?
It seems like some sort of foldup design might have some advantages, but I have no idea how to design one.

Best,
Loren

tdtrimmer

Member II
Swim Platform

I do have a small line with a clip on it that I wrap around the back stay bracket in case the swim platform bracket were to slip off and head for the bottom. The swim platform bracket simply slips over the back stay bracket. It is not necessary to secure it.

Storage is a simple thing. Pull two pins from the platform bracket and lift off the platform. I stores nicely in either of the cockpit storage compartments. We have it on most all the time so storage requirement is minimal. The only time I remove it is if we are sailing in rough water and anticipate a starboard tack. The platform will catch some water when the boat is healed over.

I had considered a folding design but that became too complicated and would have required drilling holes in the transom. As it turns out, I like the ability to easily remove the platform.

The platform is particularly handy for on and off loading from the dinghy, moving the outboard from the dinghy to the stern rail, fishing off the back of the boat and of course, swimming.

And added feature of the platform is that it is an excellent "dog house" when cruising for extended periods. When my First Mate gives me that look, I know it's time to do a "time out" on my platform. :)

Tom

Stardust38

Member I
I'm going to have to look into doing something like that on Stardust once we have everything else we need to take care of out of the way.