Mainsheet Line Type for E38

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
Hello,

I think it's time to replace my original 1990 mainsheet. The original spec is 100 ft of 7/16" line. I've done some web searching using a popular search engine, and it seems that Regatta Braid is the best line for this application (soft, pliable, does not knot up). However, I thought I'd ask the EYo crew for their thoughts first before committing...

Thanks,
Mark

u079721

Contributing Partner
I used 60' each of 5/8" Regatta braid as the sheets on my 38, where it worked great. But I didn't (and don't) think the Regatta braid would run through the multiple blocks on the mainsheet well enough. So for the mainsheet I used 85' of 1/2" Sta-Set.

Matey

Member III
Regatta Braid is far from the best

It's really low quality line. I like Samson much better. I have Warpspeed II and love it. You can get by with their less expensive stuff. Good line works and lasts. Sta-Set is lousy also imho

Regards, Greg

http://www.samsonrope.com/Pages/ProductList.aspx?CategoryType=2&Category=Mainsheet

Hello,

I think it's time to replace my original 1990 mainsheet. The original spec is 100 ft of 7/16" line. I've done some web searching using a popular search engine, and it seems that Regatta Braid is the best line for this application (soft, pliable, does not knot up). However, I thought I'd ask the EYo crew for their thoughts first before committing...

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
The Samson XLS Extra T is, I have found, a good compromise. Much less stretch than the all dacron lines but quite a bit cheaper than the all dyneema, etc., lines